Dustin, Hardware Specialist
Experience:  5 Years in The US ARMy as a Network Switching Systems Operator
19897260

I have a Brother MFC 6490-CW when aligning printer I can not

I have a Brother MFC 6490-CW when aligning printer I can not get close to matching the patterns 1-8 with the '0' base pattern because I incorrectly inserted the wrong number.
What do I do?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer.com

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of the experts who will be assisting you today!

Lets run through this process to realign the printer..

1. Press the Ink or Ink Management key on the control panel.
  2. Press the UP OR DOWN ARROW key to choose Test Print and press OK.
  3. Press the UP OR DOWN ARROW key to choose Alignment and press OK.
  4. Press Black (Mono) or Color (Colour) Start. The machine begins printing the Alignment Check Sheet.
  5. By reviewing this Check Sheet, you can determine if the alignment needs adjustment.
  6. Examine the 600 dpi and 1200 dpi test prints on the Alignment Check Sheet. If the number 5 sample of both the 600 dpi and 1200 dpi most closely matches the 0 sample, press the UP ARROW key or 1 or "+" to choose Yes.
    If one of the other samples is a better match for the 0 sample, press the DOWN ARROW key or "-" to choose No. The display will then prompt you to choose the sample that most closely matches the 0 sample for 600 dpi and then 1200 dpi.
  7. Press Stop/Exit.
  8. That will allow you to change the alignment, to match what suits the printer best.

If you have any further questions, let me know.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i HAVE CARRIED OUT THE ABOVE PROCEDURE, I GOT INTO TROUBLE BECAUSE I INSERTED THE WRONG NUMBER WHEN ALIGNING THE 600DPI

ALIGNMENT. MY QUESTION IS WHAT DO I DO NOW?

Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
We want to Redo the procedure below..

And this time, enter the correct number!!

7. Press Stop/Exit.

Dustin, Hardware Specialist
Experience: 5 Years in The US ARMy as a Network Switching Systems Operator
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Your suggestion has not worked

Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Ok, when you redo the alignment..

Does it not let you enter the new info?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes it does but there are no patterns that resemble the target pattern. I entered the number that was correct when I originally entered the wrong digit.
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Ok.. Try this.

Open the printer.

Remove all ink cartridges.. Then, remove the printhead.

Now, unplug the printer from power.. Plug it back in, insert the printhead.

Then, insert the ink cartridges, it should ask you to calibrate again.

Hopefully, it works better this time when it aligns.. Let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am not confident enough to remove the printhead have no idea how to!
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
The printhead.. Is the part of the printer, that holds the ink cattridges..

You remove the catridges, and then remove the printhead.

It usually has a lever that holds it in place, which you lift up, and then pull the carriage out..

Then you simply set it right back in place, and then insert the ink catridges.

This will have the machine recalibrate its alignment from scratch.. Resolving the issue!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can we continue this tomorrow I need to find a diagram of the printer so that I know what I am doing before I go any further.

Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
We sure can..

You can get back to me on this same question, the same way you have been doing.. Just send me a reply.

Or..

Log into JustAnswer.com, then on the Top right, click on my questions

Then, click the "reply to expert" next to my face..