19matt84
19matt84, Technician
Experience:  Copier and Printer Service Technician
66556486

how to fix error message "Unable to Print 36" on a Brother

how to fix error message "Unable to Print 36" on a Brother 5890CN.
19matt84 :

Hi, I'm Matthew and I'd be glad to assist you today.

JACUSTOMER-hni66vv8- :

thank you

19matt84 :

If you click the link below, you can access a step-by-step guide on clearing such an error message rather than me typing it out for you.

JACUSTOMER-hni66vv8- :

ok

19matt84 :

Please give it a try and let me know the result.

JACUSTOMER-hni66vv8- :

i did that and the printer is in the process of "receiving data" which is a step in the right direction. i cleaned something called the encoder bar.

JACUSTOMER-hni66vv8- :

i was wrong. the message on the screen says "data remaining".

19matt84 :

Is the machine functioning at all?

JACUSTOMER-hni66vv8- :

i just printed out an email and was able to photocopy something. It's working again. thank you , Thank you.

19matt84 :

I'm glad I could help.... Let me know if there is anything else I can help with. Please click the "accept" button to close out our chat so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!!

19matt84, Technician
Experience: Copier and Printer Service Technician
Thank you for confirming, This message indicates a carriage fault. That can be caused by anything from debris/obstruction (paper jam, bent/damaged rails, out of place purge assembly/wiper, or dirty/dislocated encoder strip) to an actual hardware defect (bad sensor or control board, faulty carriage drive motor/gear/belt, bad printhead/carriage pcb).What we can try here are some cleaning and reset steps.First, open up the printer, and check for any internal debris such as scraps of paper, paperclip or staple, etc. Check if you’re able to move the carriage manually, or if it moves on its own when lifting the lid. If it does move, you can proceed with cleaning by blowing out the inside compartment with compressed air and checking carefully on both sides for any obstructions. Then wipe down the encoder strip, which is a clear plastic strip running the width of the printer, that sits just slightly above and behind the carriage.Then reset the machine:unplug power at the wall outletwait 5 minutespress and hold the power/on button for 60+ secondskeep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release Let me know the results, and I’ll advise further if needed.