Bernie, Printer Technician
Experience:  6+ years experience, Microsoft MCDST/CompTia A+ Certified

My canon MG5320 has the error code 6A81 and says Printer error

Customer Question

My canon MG5320 has the error code 6A81 and says Printer error has occurred. Turn off power then back on again. If problem persists, see the manual. I turned it on and off and checked the manual. No answer to my problem. What is wrong?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Bernie replied 4 years ago.
Hi I'm Bernie, I look forward to helping you. I'll try to be quick but some of my replies may take up to 5 min to get you the best possible answers.

This error indicates that something is blocking the carriage from moving (the carriage is the part of the printer that holds the ink cartridges)

This can be from a piece of paper being caught in the carriage path, or a mechanical issue like a broken gear

First, sharply unplug the printer while it is powered on, then double check these instructions for removing all paper jams (click below):

Especially look inside the printer where the carriage moves back and forth to make sure nothing is jammed in there and is blocking the path:

Remove all paper from the paper feed and blow it out with compressed air a few times > With a flashlight look in the paper feed

Make sure there is no foreign object like a paper clip in there

While the printer is still off, press and hold the power button for 3 minutes > Load 1 sheet of paper into the paper tray

Finally, while holding down the stop/cancel button, plug the printer back in, and power on the printer if it doesn't do so automatically. Now see if the error is gone.

If not, please reply back and let me know, we'll take other steps to resolve the issue.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It still is flashing the error message. The orange triangle is flashing as is the blue rectangle.
Expert:  Bernie replied 4 years ago.
Do you see these buttons on the printer:

Copy (may just be a black diamond with line through the middle)
Cancel (may just be red circle with downward triangle inside)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have an on button with a circle with a half slash, a black diamond with a slash button for black and white copies, a green diamond with a slash button for color copies and a red circle with a diamond for stop.
Expert:  Bernie replied 4 years ago.
Ok those are the buttons, lets try this:

Turn the printer off, then press and hold all 4 of those buttons together

Keep them held down for about 10 seconds

Let go of the power button, but still hold the other 3 buttons

After a few more seconds, go ahead and release all the buttons

If the error is not cleared, please take another look inside the printer with a flashlight, especially in the purge unit area where the printhead parks when shut down, is there anything you see that is preventing the printhead from moving all the way to the right of the printer?

If you can move the printhead carriage freely back and forth on the rail, but you are still getting the error, then you will need to replace the printhead. However, if it won't budge, and/or continues to stay seated when it should move over automatically, then there is a broken gear or the carriage motor/assembly has become defective. Either way, if the warranty is out, it may be more cost effective to buy a new printer, but you may certainly call 1-800-652-2666 first to get a quote on the repairs to make a final decision. I hope this information helps, feel free to reply back with any further questions on this if needed, thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The printhead carriage won't budge. The machine is only about 4 months old. I will take it back to Best Buy. Thanks.
Expert:  Bernie replied 4 years ago.
That is the best course of action if it's in warranty, since it looks to be a jam that will require some disassembly of the printer to remove