Travis B.
Travis B., Technician
Experience:  A+ Computer Repair, ISP Technician, Help Desk

Printer is displaying unable to print/init/clean 50. Have referred

Printer is displaying unable to print/init/clean 50. Have referred to brother manual and there is nothing jammed in the machine. Help please!!!
Category: Printers
Expert:  Travis B. replied 4 years ago.

Alright, This error is quite common on the Brother model.

Most likely this is a print head issue. The print head is what the cartridges sit in inside of the printer. To attempt to resolve it, do the following steps created by Brother in this step by step guide to try resolving the error message:

If the above method didn't work, as it looks like you have also tried this already

Unable to init, unable to print, unable to clean, unable 36, error 46, 50 and error 32 are all print head errors.
Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine
Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself
Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab
If any of the other cartridges are low, empty, leaking or bulging replace them
Then turn off the machine and unplug it for 70 seconds
Plug it back it and wait for the insert cartridges message
Insert the cartridges and check to see if the problem is still there
If it is it means the print head has failed
In order to fix this the print head inside the printer needs to be replaced.

If you do all the steps and still nothing your print head is bad and or needs replacing.

If nothing is working I would advise to look up your warranty info as you may still have a warranty with Brother, I would and always advise people to contact the manufacturer directly to see if they still have a warranty. I know places like Brother and HP were either replacing or sending units out even if out of warranty or giving 50-75% off on services repair, and new units.
(even if out of warranty).

Glad I could be of assistance, god bless and happy holidays! If you need anymore help please ask, otherwise have a good night and god bless! Smile

Travis B.