romr2009
romr2009, Electronics Engineer
Experience:  32 years practical systems experience: computer/phone, automotive, appliance, & electrical control

We have an Epson Stylus NX 420, Printer/Scanner. My daughter

We have an Epson Stylus NX 420, Printer/Scanner. My daughter moved home from college, in the move the CD was lost. Now her Mac does not recognize the printer. We downloaded the software again from the internet. Still no luck...keep getting message that it is not recognized. Have tried on my PC as well. What is the problem? Can we get another CD? Or is that even what is wrong?? Thanks
Category: Printers
Expert:  Bernie replied 1 year ago.
Hi I'm Bernie, I look forward to helping you. I'll try to be quick but some of my replies may take up to 5 min to get you the best possible answers.

On the Mac, can you click the Apple icon in the upper left > Select about this Mac > Post the version number shown under Mac OS X (10.7 for example)

Also, is this printer on the network, or is it directly connected via USB cable to the Mac?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
did u receive our reply?
Expert:  Bernie replied 1 year ago.
No I'm sorry, it never showed up on this page, can you please repost it

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The Mac is a OX S 10.5.8.

We have tried with both our wireless network and the USB cable, and it just continues to say it is 'searching for the printer'.

We then tried to reinstall the software from Epson.com and it still will not recognize either connected and says 'connection failed'.

Expert:  Bernie replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like the printer itself is not on the network, so when trying to reinstall the software it searches, but can't find the printer. Can you enter your network settings directly on the printer itself using these steps:

Press Setup.
Select Network Settings.
Select Wireless LAN Setup.
Select Setup Wizard. A list of all available SSIDs appears on the LCD screen. The SSID = The name of the network.
Select your SSID from the list.

Note:
The product will display all wireless networks available by the order of their signal strength, and your SSID will probably be listed at the top of the list. The SSID name is XXXXX XXXXX the router or access point, and the default name is XXXXX XXXXX brand name of the router or access point.

If your SSID is not listed, your router or access point may be set to not broadcast its network name. Please stop here and let me know, otherwise continue:

If your wireless network has security enabled, enter your network password, then press Start.
A message appears indicating if the connection was successful as well as asking if you want want to print a network connection report.
Press Start to print the report
From the report, you should see an IP address listed, please post that here

source: epson.com nx420 technical faq

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

We've completed those steps before, and just did that again.

IP Address is: 192.168.1.6

Everything passes on the setup. At the bottom of the report it says "Network is working correctly.

I try

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

IP Address is: 192.168.1.6

I tried to print another document and all the 'print job window' tell us is that the printer is offline and there is a red exclamation mark on the printer.

Expert:  Bernie replied 1 year ago.
Are you talking to me from the Mac or the other pc, are these wirelessly connected to your network as well?

If so, click here: 192.168.1.6 or try entering that IP address in your browser address bar and press enter, it should take you to a printer configuration of sorts.
Does the printer confguration page open?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Both computers say that "internet explorer cannot open this page" ...and that "safari cannot open this page".

So, no the page does not open.

Expert:  Bernie replied 1 year ago.
I will open your question to all other experts again. They will see anything we have discussed so far and you will receive an email notificiation if another experts posts to this page. Thank you for your patience.
Expert:  romr2009 replied 1 year ago.
Hello Sir or Madam and thanks for choosing the JustAnswer.com Printers and Office subcategory of the Electronics category.

• Check your hard drive for soft errors.

---

• Turn off the unit in the usual way with the shutdown menu.
  • Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
  • Since this is a unibody, disconnecting the battery may be too difficult.
  • Wait 20 minutes before re-applying power.

-----

• Re-apply power and boot-up using the installation DVD if possible to use the Disk Utility.
  • Check the amount of free disk space available to rule out memory paging delays due to insufficient memory or page memory disk space.

-----

-----

• If you don't have the system CD/DVD:
  • Open Applications.
  • Open Utilities.
  • Run Disk Utility.
  • Select your startup drive and click Verify Disk.
  • Select your startup drive and click Verify Permissions.
  • If there are problems, try to do both repair options.
  • Wait for the repair to complete.
  • Reboot.

-----

If you have the system CD/DVD (best option):

1. Start from your Mac OS X Install disc: Insert the installation disc, then restart the computer while holding the option key.
  2. When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Disk Utility from the Installer
    Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Disk Utility. menu. (In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)
  3. Click the First Aid tab.
  4. Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.
  5. Select your Mac OS X volume.
  6. Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.

Tip: Always start up your computer from an Install or Restore disc when using Disk Utility to verify or repair your startup volume. Otherwise, you might see some disk error messages.

----- ----- -----

----- ----- -----

• Lets start with a USB connection.
  • Add a new printer with a similar name, the original file is corrupted and may be on a bad part of the hard drive.

-----

• In the print dialog, click the down arrow to add a printer.

Or

• In the system preferences, click the fax and printer icon
  • At the bottom will be a + and -.
  • Click the + to add a printer.

-----

• This will give you two printer settings pointing to the same printer.
  • After you get the second one working, you can delete the original to avoid confusion
romr2009, Electronics Engineer
Experience: 32 years practical systems experience: computer/phone, automotive, appliance, & electrical control