Bernie
Bernie, Printer Technician
Experience:  6+ years experience, Microsoft MCDST/CompTia A+ Certified
46068869

Canon PIXMA MG5220 series installationg without a disc

Category: Printers
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Hi I'm Bernie, I look forward to helping you. .

I can help you get this driver, are you using Windows XP, Vista, 7, or Mac?

If not sure, click HERE. On that page, under Operating system, it will say what you have.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am using Windows 7 and I also have a Netgear N150 Wireless Router
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX thing, can you click the Windows Start button > Right click Computer and select properties > Under system type does it say 32 or 64 bit?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

it says 64 bit

Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX the printer driver, click HERE > On that page, click the green download button > Save the file, and run it when it's finished downloading

Just keep the printer disconnected from the computer until the setup asks you to connect it and turn it on, then finish the setup and try to print thereafter.

If that does not work, please reply back and let me know, we'll take other steps to resolve the issue.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This did not work. First of all I don't have a USB cable, so I think I should have chosen the next option.
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
I see, if you're trying to install it wirelessly, without the usb cable, then before you can choose the wireless option in the setup, you're going to need to input your network settings on the printer itself. Once you do that, and run setup again, then choose wireless, it will detect your printer on the network and install it.

Please use this guide, click HERE
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Im trying to set up the network wireless, but it's asking for a WEP key 5 - 13 characters what is this and where can I find it at?
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
I can help you find that key, is the Windows 7 computer you're talking to me from already wirelessly connected to your network?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, and if you mean that the Netgear Router is the wireless network..yes
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Ok great - click the Windows Start button > Type sharing in the box, then press enter on the keyboard

Click Manage Wireless Networks on the left > Right your wireless network shown there, then select Properties > Click the security tab

Click the show characters button and this will show your network password

graphic

That's what you'll want to enter into the printer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I see a Network and Sharing Center and a Manage Advanced Sharing Settings which one do I choose?
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Do you see manage wireless networks?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no but i do see Add a wireless device to the network.
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
I think your Windows 7 may be connected to the router with a wired connection to get the internet, is that correct?

Could you try this instead:

First, make sure you take these steps on a computer or laptop that is directly plugged into the back of your Netgear router in port 1, 2, 3, or 4, this will not work unless you do

Open a new web browser window, erase anything in the address bar at the top, then type: http://routerlogin.net or http://192.168.1.1

Press ENTER on the keyboard > A login prompt should pop up, to login use admin as the username, and password or 1234 as the password

Once in, click Wireless Settings > On that page look for a key #1, passphrase, or preshared key box, it will show your wireless network password, if you have any trouble let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Okay before I began, I have checked and the router red chord is connected to my computer, yellow chord from the router is connected to the Sprint internet box that I have, then the main chord to the router Netgear is pluged in the wall Ethernet black box.

Okay after saying this do you want me to proceed with the next steps you gave me?

Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Yes please do, you're directly wired to the router, so we can use that method to log into the router itself and get the key from it

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay Bernie, I found the word PassPhrase (with a word beside it which I know that to be my password) then below that I say the word Key 1: with about 10 numbers. Which one of these doe i key into my printer as the WEP key?
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Try the word beside the passphrase first, and see if that gets the printer connected to your wifi network

If not, try the number in key1
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
okay i keyed in the word and it acted like it was going to connect but then this error message came up: failed to connect to the access point. Check the access point settings and try again. What do I do next. Do you think I should try the 10 digit number?
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Yes, please try that 10 digit number next
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm connected. It says connected to the access point so now I need to test the printer out correct?
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Ok great, actually, one more step, you'll want to run the setup driver from earlier and now install the printer as a wireless printer.

Once you've done that, you should be able to print to it wirelessly.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay but first I should press ok, before be move on. Okay refresh my memory about the next and last step. Question is it possible to connect my cell phone and bluetooth to work my printer? I just thought I would ask. Ha! Ha!
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Absolutely, remember that file I had you download earlier (if you need to, you can click HERE to redownload it, then open and install it), you'll want to run that again, and this time pick wireless instead of the usb option. It should detect your printer and let you install it. Then you should be able to print wirelessly.

As for connecting your cell phone to your printer, I'm afraid I wouldn't really know (I'm sorry!), I'm not officially in the cell phone category. Perhaps if you let me know the cell phone model I can look into it further for you, or get someone who can. You won't need bluetooth though as you'll be able to print to this wirelessly.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Was I suppose to save first then run? I did run first , it said could not be found on the network. If the printer network set has not been completed, complete the network setup and then click next. I clicked next and the printer came up as MG 5200, I have a MG 5220 so I did not select the 5200. What's next.
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Running it is ok

Try running the setup again, and select the MG5200 this time (the MG5220 is part of the MG5200 series), that should definitely work
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is printing from my computer. The scanner is not working thou, it said MP Navigation corresponding to the printer you intend to use, may not be installed correctly. Reinstall MP Navigation and try again. What is this meaning?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Good morning. Thank you for being so patient with me and my computer problem. The student doesn't need anymore help until later today. Working with me has added 2 more years to your 6 years of experience. ha! ha! Have a blessed day and rest of the week. Blessings

Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Sorry for the delay, I had to log off

I'm glad to hear you're printing from your computer now. We can get the scanning working by installing this file (MP Navigator), please click HERE

Once you've done that you should be able to scan as well. I'll be on this afternoon so feel free to post any further questions you may have on this, it's been a pleasure working with you ; )

Thanks,
Bernie
Bernie, Printer Technician
Experience: 6+ years experience, Microsoft MCDST/CompTia A+ Certified