dennish1274
dennish1274, Engineer
Experience:  Worked for two different major dealers repairing Kyocera and HD printers, for 5 years, along with most office equipment.

Im getting an error E5 on my Cannon Pixma MP210 multi-function

Customer Question

I'm getting an error E5 on my Cannon Pixma MP210 multi-function device. The ink cartridges are old, but I only want to scan, not print with the device. Anyway around this?
Category: Printers
Expert:  dennish1274 replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer!

I know this has worked for other Canon MFC'S and Printers, please try this.

1) With the printer powered off but connected to a power source, press the Power button while pressing and holding the Stop/ Reset button.
2) When the Power LED is lit, press the Stop/Reset button two times while pressing and holding the Power button.
3) When releasing the Power button and the Stop / Reset button (regardless of order), the printer will move into a service mode. (Waiting for menu selection)
4) When the LED lights in green, press the Stop/Reset button 4 times.

BR,

Dennis
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I like the service mode answer, but I've tried a couple of ways and I don't think the explaination is quite clear enough. Here's what I do:

Printer is off, but connected to power

Press and hold the stop/reset button

Press the power button and release it

When print cartridges stop moving

Press Stop/reset 2 times (but not holding power button)

Wait for printer cartridges to stop moving - about 30 seconds

Press Stop/reset 4 times

Still no change from E5

The only other option at this time is to replace the cartridge(s). I have seen a low voltage issue with an E 5 error in the past, which resulted in a machine replacement.

BR,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I believe that voltage is fine. If we can put it in Service mode and ignore the print cartidges status, we should have the problem solved. I wrote back the steps I took, but it's not exactly the same as the steps you sent me. Can you clarify the steps? I'm not hold the power button a second time as your instructions dictated because it powered off when I did so.

I will opt out because Ive given all I know.

Thank you and good luck.
dennish1274, Engineer
Experience: Worked for two different major dealers repairing Kyocera and HD printers, for 5 years, along with most office equipment.
Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am Engineer John C., I will be your expert today.

Error E5 means "The FINE Cartridge cannot be recognized."

Please remember I do not receive a salary from this company. I am an independent Computer Science Engineer with more than 10 years of experience working with Printers, and now working here. The only way for me to be compensated for my time is when the customer (You) click the Accept button when satisfied. Thank you for your help and understanding.

Part 1 of 3:
Probably the printhead is defective. However, please follow the steps below:

1- Remove ALL the ink cartridges from the printer

2- Check that there is no residual tape on the cartridges.

3- Then clean the contacts (the hole where the ink comes out) on the cartridges as well as inside the printer itself (you may want to use gloves here)

NOTE: Clean the contacts with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.

4- If any of the other cartridges are low, empty, leaking or bulging, replace them with genuine and original ones.

5- Then turn off the machine and unplug it for 60 seconds

6- Insert the cartridges and check to see if the issue persists. If it persists, you can try cleaning the printhead using the printer utility.

Part 2 of 3:
If it doesn't work, please make sure you are using genuine and good (not old, expired, dried, etc) CANON GENUINE Cartridges.

Part 3 of 3:
If no luck with good and genuine CANON cartridges, then unfortunately the printhead is defective. (The printhead is the part of the printer that puts ink from the cartridges onto the page) Unfortunately this can sometimes cost more to replace than the machine itself.

If the printer is out of warranty, you may prefer a new printer for a similar/better price than a repair. Amazon has very good prices usually with free shipping and no tax. Click here for more info ---> http://tinyurl.com/AmazonPrinterDeals

Please note I do NOT work for CANON so please do NOT leave me a negative feedback if you are not satisfied with them. Thank you

If you are satisfied with my job, please click the green Accept button below

Thank you very much!

John C.