Bernie, Printer Technician
Experience:  6+ years experience, Microsoft MCDST/CompTia A+ Certified

What does bidirectional support disabled on my kodak hero 9.1

Customer Question

What does bidirectional support disabled on my kodak hero 9.1 mean,and how do I turn it back on. I don't know how it turned off! Do I need it ? this printer is new and was running great on USB plug in to my laptop. HELP
Category: Printers
Expert:  Bernie replied 4 years ago.
Hi, and thanks for using JustAnswer, I'll be assisting you with your issue today.

This allows the printhead inside the printer to print on the paper in both directions when it is moving back and forth along the rail.

Are you using Windows XP, Vista, 7, or Mac?

If not sure, click HERE. On that page, under Operating system, it will say what you have.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Windows 7
Expert:  Bernie replied 4 years ago.
Click the Windows Start button > Devices and Printers > Right click your printer listed there and select properties or printer properties

Then, click the Ports tab, and in there you should see an option to enable bi-directional printing > Make sure to check that box and press ok.

If the problem is still there, please let me know/reply and we'll take further steps, thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I Found Properties but there is no ports tap.
Expert:  Bernie replied 4 years ago.
Try printer properties instead of properties:

And you should see a ports tab and on the Enable bidirectional support then:

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Found it enabled it now its still printing but i have a CodeNNN-NN-NNNN"software communication error" showing
Expert:  Bernie replied 4 years ago.
This means the software is corrupted and we'll need to reinstall it, to make sure you can return to me, please favorite or bookmark this page, alternatively you can go to and click my questions in the top right.

Then, turn off and disconnect the printer from the pc > Click the Windows Start button > Devices and Printers > Right click and remove your Kodak printer listed there

Click the Windows Start button > Control Panel > Uninstall a program > Remove any Kodak printer programs/drivers if listed there too

Restart your pc, then return to this page > Click HERE to download the printer driver, then install it > Turn on and reconnect the printer only when asked by setup > When finished reinstalling the printer, try to print.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Doing it now I will not leave you in the cold
Expert:  Bernie replied 4 years ago.
No problem, please take your time and keep me posted

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
downloaded driver prints fine but still showing CodeNNN-NN-NNNN
Expert:  Bernie replied 4 years ago.
That's strange, you're not trying to print to the printer wirelessly correct - Is the laptop is just connected via USB normally for printing? If so, please try this:

1. On the computer, select Start > Settings > Devices and Printers
  2. Right-click the icon for the KODAK Printer you are using, then select Delete.
  3. Run the KODAK Printer Setup Utility again.
    1. Select Start > Programs > Kodak > KODAK Printer Setup Utility.
    2. Follow the on-screen instructions to connect your printer, but this time use a different usb port on the computer.
  4. Try printing again.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Did not work...I can not afford to take it to be repaired..I should have not brough it...thank you for your help its not your fault.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
good you and 28.00.