Shefin, Printer and Office Equip. Specialist
Experience:  Working as tech support specialist with a worldwide computer manufacturer.
15907069

Hello. I have a Canon PIXMA MX330 Office-Allin One Printer.

Customer Question

Hello. I have a Canon PIXMA MX330 Office-Allin One Printer. I have had it for over a year and have never been able to use the fax machine. Please help! How do I set up my fax machine. I have called before but nothing has worked so far.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Shefin replied 2 years ago.

Welcome to Justanswer. My name isCustomerXXXXX I am glad to assist you.

Methods of Connecting External Devices

Connecting to an Analog Line

(A) Telephone line (analog)

Connecting a Telephone or Answering Machine Directly

(A) Telephone or Answering machine

Connecting a Telephone or Answering Machine via a Computer

(A) Computer

(B) Telephone or answering machine

(C) Analog line

Methods of Connecting the Various Lines

The following are some basic connection schemes that apply when you are connecting to a non-analog telephone line. These are examples and are not guaranteed to suit every connecting conditions. For details, refer to the instruction manual supplied with the network device (control devices such as an xDSL modem, terminal adapter, or dial-up router) you are connecting to this machine.

Connecting to an xDSL

(A) Telephone or answering machine

Note:

Before connecting a telephone or answering machine, remove the Telephone connector cap

(B) Splitter

(C) Digital Subscriber Line

(D) Computer

(E) xDSL modem (splitter may be built-in to the modem)

Important

Do not branch the telephone line before the splitter (wall side). And also, do not connect splitters in parallel. The machine may not be able to operate properly.

Connecting to an ISDN Line

For details on ISDN connection and settings, see the manuals supplied with your terminal adapter or dial-up router.

Entering Date and Time

Note: When your machine is connected to a computer with the MP driver installed, even if the date and time are entered from the Operation Panel of the machine, the date and time will be read from your computer every time you start the computer, turn the machine on, or disconnect and connect the USB cable. When using your machine connecting to your computer, set the date and time on your computer precisely.

The date and time will be reset when you disconnect the power cord or there is a power failure. In this case, you can set it again on the machine. Alternatively, it can be read from your computer and set on the machine by connecting the machine to your computer with the MP driver installed.

1. Press the <FAX> button, then press the <Menu> button . The Fax menu is displayed.

2. Press the arrow button to select Settings, then press the OK button.

The Settings screen is displayed.

3. Press the arrow button to select Device settings, then press the OK button.

The Device settings screen is displayed.

4. Press the arrow button to select FAX settings, then press the OK button.

The FAX settings screen is displayed.

5. Press the arrow button to select User settings, then press the OK button.

The User settings screen is displayed.

6. Display the Date/time setting screen.

Press the arrow button to select Date/time setting, then press the OK button.

7. Press the Numeric buttons to enter the date and time (in 24-hour format), then press the OK button.

Enter only the last two digits of the year.

8. Press the OK button to finalize your setting.

9. Press the FAX button to return to the fax standby screen

Registering Your Fax/Telephone Number and Name (Sender Information)

2. Press the arrow buttons to select Settings, then press the OK button.

The Settings screen is displayed.

3. Press the arrow buttons to select Device settings, then press the OK button.

4. Press the arrow buttons to select FAX settings, then press the OK button.

The FAX settings screen is displayed.

5. Press the arrow buttons to select User settings, then press the OK button.

The User settings screen is displayed.

6. Display the Unit name/TEL registration screen.

(1) Press the arrow buttons to select Unit name/TEL no. register., then press the OK button.

7. Press the Numeric buttons to enter your name (max. 24 characters, including spaces), then press the down arrow or OK button.

8. Press the Numeric buttons to enter your fax/telephone number (max. 20 digits, including spaces).

To enter a plus sign (+) before the number, press the # button.

9. Press the OK button to finalize your setting.

10. Press the FAX button to return to the fax standby screen.

Setting the Receive Mode

1. Display the FAX menu.

(1) Press the FAX button, then press the Menu button.

The FAX menu is displayed.

2. Display the Receive mode settings screen.

(1) Press the arrow buttons to select Receive mode settings, then press the OK button.

3. Select a receive mode.

FAX ONLY MODE: When you want to receive only faxes automatically with your machine, or have a dedicated telephone line for FAX use only.

TEL PRIORITY MODE: When you are using a single telephone line for faxes and voice calls and you receive mainly voice calls and sometimes faxes.

FAX PRIORITY MODE: When you are using a single telephone line for faxes and voice calls and you receive mainly faxes and sometimes voice calls.

DRPD: When you have subscribed to a DRPD service with your telephone company.

(1) Press the arrow buttons to select a receive mode, then press the OK button.

Press the Back button to exit the FAX menu.

The receive mode (A) will be displayed on the LCD.

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay. I need a little assistance here. I plugged the phone line into the lower back side of the PIXMA. The end of the line I am not sure where to put it, because there is no additional space on the phone or on the wall. Can I plug it into the computer or my modem?
Expert:  Shefin replied 2 years ago.

1. Disconnect the fax machine from the telephone wall jack.

2. Connect a known functioning single-line telephone directly to the telephone wall jack.

3. Dial the fax number to see if the phone in the home will ring. If the telephone rings, reconnect the fax to the wall jack and request a test fax is sent.

4. If the telephone in the home does not ring, obtain a telephone line splitter (adapter) to separate lines one and two.

Note: Not all adapters separate telephone lines. Some adapters merely provide an extension telephone jack.

5. Connect the fax to the line 2 port on the adapter or the preferred line.

6. Request someone send a test fax.

7. Connect a single-line telephone to the line 1 port on the adapter or the open port on the adapter.

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

1. Where should the end line of the fax machine be plugged into in order to fax?

2. The telephone line is connected. I dialed the number and pushed FAX and the status shows "standby"

Expert:  Shefin replied 2 years ago.

You need to make sure that your printer/fax is connected to a normal, working telephone land line with a normal telephone cable to the fax/telephone jack on the printer and to the telephone wall jack in the house. Without that hooked up, you'll not be able to use the printer as a fax. You will also need to make sure the basic fax setup settings are done in the printer too.

After connecting the cable, follow the instructions I have given earlier.

Thank you.
S H E F I N
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay. I am back. I made the connections as suggested above. I also completed the settings. I pushed FAX and dialed the number and nothing happened. I am almost there. If I can get some instructions on faxing. Thank you.
Expert:  Shefin replied 2 years ago.

Sending a Fax with the Numeric Buttons

1. Preparing for sending a fax.

1. Make sure that the power is turned on.

2. Load a document on the Platen Glass or in the ADF.

Note: When sending a double-sided document, set the document on the Platen Glass. You cannot scan double-sided documents from the ADF.

3. Press the <FAX> button.
      The fax standby screen will appear.

4. Adjust the image quality (fax resolution) or density (scan contrast) as necessary.

2. Sending the fax.

1. When the document was loaded on the Platen Glass:

1. Use the Numeric buttons to dial the recipient's number.

2. Press the <Color> button for color sending, or the <Black> button for black & white sending.

Note: Color sending requires that the recipient's fax machine supports color faxing.

3. Press the <OK> button.
        The machine starts sending the fax.

Note:
        When sending two or more pages of document:

* Load the next page, and press the same button as you pressed in (2) of step 2. Repeat the same procedure to scan all pages of the document, and press the <OK> button.

* When you have sent the first page with the Black button, the following pages will be sent in black and white.

2. When the document was loaded in the ADF:

The machine scans the document automatically and starts sending the fax.

Note:
        * Color sending requires that the recipient's fax machine supports color faxing.

* To cancel sending a fax, press the <Stop> button, and follow the instructions on the LCD.

* If documents remain in the ADF after pressing the Stop button during scanning, "Document in ADF. Close the feeder cover and press OK to eject document." will appear on the LCD. Press the OK button so that the remaining document is automatically fed out.

Automatic redialing
        When sending a fax and the recipient's line is busy, the machine will redial the number after a specified interval. Auto redial is enabled by default.
        Auto redial can be enabled or disabled by selecting ON or OFF.
        Select ON to specify the number of redialing in Redial time and redialing interval in Redial interval.

Redialing the Number Dialed with the Numeric Buttons

1. Prepare for sending a fax.

3. Press the <FAX> button.
      The fax standby screen will appear.

2. Select the telephone number in the redial list.

1. Press the <Redial/Pause> button.
      The fax numbers dialed with the Numeric buttons will be listed.

2. Use the Up and Down arrow button to select the number to redial.

3. Press the <OK> button.
      The selected number will appear in the fax standby screen.

3. Press the <Color> button for color sending, or the <Black> button for black & white sending.

Adjusting the Sending Quality

You can adjust the image quality (fax resolution) or density (scan contrast) of the document you send. The higher you set the image quality setting, the better the output quality will be at the other end, but the longer it will take for the transmission. Contrast is the degree of difference between light and dark. Increasing the scan contrast thickens the whole fax image, or light penciled texts and such can be thickened. Adjust the image quality and density according to the type of document you are sending.

1. Press the <FAX> button, and press the <FAX Quality> button.

2. Select the image quality (fax resolution).

1. Use the Up and Down arrow button to select [FAX resolution].

2. Use the Left or Right arrow button to select the image quality.

Standard: Suitable for text-only documents.

Fine: Suitable for fine-print documents.

Extra fine: Suitable for detailed illustration or fine-print quality documents.

If the recipient's fax machine is not compatible with Extra fine (300x300dpi), the fax will be sent in the Standard or Fine resolution.

Photo: Suitable for photographs.

Note: The color fax is sent with the resolution for Photo.

3. Select the density (scan contrast).

1. Use the Up and Down arrow button to select [Scan contrast].

2. Use the Left or Right arrow button to select the density.
    Pressing the Left arrow button decreases the contrast, and pressing the Right arrow button increases the contrast.

3. Press the <OK> button.

If you are experiencing any issues, please go to the link below, select Service & Support, in the search filed type in Sending fax and click Search. From search results, select Quick fax tips and read the instructions.

http://usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/printers_multifunction/pixma_mx_series/pixma_mx330#ServiceAndSupport

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Experience: Working as tech support specialist with a worldwide computer manufacturer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The fax machine dialed the number. But for some reason the fax was not received by the recipient. I did go on the link you provided but the information there was basically what you had already provided for me. I want to pay you for your time, And I want to successfully send a fax. I will attempt to contact Canon from the link you sent me as soon as I can successfully get a fax through I will accept your answer. In the meantime, let me know if you have any more suggestions.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There was a problem with the splitter. Once I unplugged the splitter and plugged the fax machine directly into the wall it went. Thank you.
Expert:  Shefin replied 2 years ago.

I am glad to hear that the issue has been resolved.

Thank you.
S H E F I N