Russell H., Printer and Office
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

I have a Brother mfc 9840cdw printer. Color images have a

Customer Question

I have a Brother mfc 9840cdw printer. Color images have a high amount of yellow in the face and the background. Replaced cartridge, reset the printer test print shows all the colors, tried to adjust contrast
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.
Please start by trying the color calibration procedure detailed on this page:

http://www.brother-usa.com/FAQs/Solution.aspx?FAQID=200000027020&Sympt=How+do+I+perform+color+calibration+and+auto+registration+on+the+machine%3f&Model=1253&ProductGroup=5&Keyword=calibration&ProductID=mfc9840cdw#.T3iAHdk0bKQ

(the page ought to open in a new browser window, automatically, when clicked upon once.)

After doing the color calibration, do the auto alignment too, as the instructions detail.

Let me know if that does not help the problem. Please click upon Accept if it does solve the problem and is thus a satisfactory Answer to your question.
Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is still yellow. I got a message that callibration failed. 2nd time that I did it the calibration it completed. But it is still printing colors with a high amount of yellow mixed in. Our blue logo looks almost green. Image of employee is a yellow face and yellow background. She is an african american woman.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Recallibration did not work. Time limit ended for 2nd response. Hopefully someone on your staff has an answer.
Have you been using genuine Brother-made original supplies in the printer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We've been using Ninestar - Brother Compatible - NT-P0115-Y. We were looking for high yield because the Brother cartridges were very expensive and became empty too quickly. We just replaced the current yellow cartridge with a new one (same brand) based on your last response and got the same results. We have been using them for a while without any problems. One thing that you should know is that we just moved into a new office. It was working in the new office until we moved it to a different part of the table. Could there be a balance problem?

If the printer is unsteady, not sitting firmly four-square, yes.

If the local ventilation conditions are different in the new position (or any other factor might apply) then move it back! (if you can) to the position it was in when it worked. I doubt it will help with the problem, but it might at least give us a clue.

The Brother-"compatible" cartridges may have been the problem. I never recommend using other than printer-maker-genuine-original supplies in printers of any sort (except perhaps the most primitive e.g. ones with ribbons of course), because often problems appear to be caused that outweigh by far the cost saved previous to the problem setting in.

Were there different humidity or temperature or air circulation conditions in the old office location for the printer?
How about the paper? paper stored differently e.g. in a very damp or very dry location, can cause odd printing problems on occasion.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We moved it back to the same spot on the table it was in when we first moved to the new office and nothing changed. The old office had alot of circulation and temperature issues (one of the reasons that we moved). It just seems strange that we have no problem, don't change the cartridge and then out of nowhere it prints with alot of yellow. So the only thing remaining is to order expensive Brother cartridges?
Maybe that is it.

But you deserve a chance at a second opinion, so I am Opting Out; if and when another opinion or Answer is offered by another Expert, you ought to receive a notification email. (But I will see your responses and be able to respond to them, still.)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will wait for another answer before I accept your answer so that we can continue with the dialogue. Thank you for your help Russell. If I leave this web page can I get back into this dialogue when someone else sends a response?
Just go to this page:

http://www.justanswer.com/printers/6gs1c-brother-mfc-9840cdw-printer-color-images.html

which is devoted to your case, and all posts to the case/question, to date, will be visible there.

Thanks for your courtesy.

(I have the idea: was the printer moved very gently, like a basket of not-very-well-packed eggs, and not tilted much? or was it moved along stevedore-style? because such moving, if it was rough and if it immediately preceded the problem, could have caused several things to happen. Let me know what you think of this...)