Bernie
Bernie, Printer Technician
Experience:  6+ years experience, Microsoft MCDST/CompTia A+ Certified

My Canon PIXMA MP500 printer is not printing correctly. It

My Canon PIXMA MP500 printer is not printing correctly. It is skipping lines when printing from file or direct copy. I performed the maintenance, cleaning, head alignments, etc. and problem still persist.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Hi, and thanks for using JustAnswer, I'll be assisting you with your issue today.

When you did the cleaning, and the nozzle check printed out, did the nozzle test look ok, or did it show missing sections/colors or missing lines on it as well?

This appears to be a hardware issue which I can give further steps for (since the copy showed the same issue), but I just wanted to confirm first - thank you and I'll stand by.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The nozzle check print looked like it did have some missing sections/colors, but not as bad.

Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Ok definitely a printhead nozzle issue. Please open the printer and remove all cartridges > Turn off the printer and disconnect everything

Use a q-tip dampened with warm water to clean the copper contacts on the cartridges if there are any > Keep cleaning until no ink comes off on the q-tip > Shake each cartridge for about 10 seconds

Dry for ten minutes, then reinsert cartridges firmly > Run the cleaning again > Try to print

If that doesn't get the printing working correctly again, this next part will involve soaking the printhead to dissolve any clogs on the nozzle. Please complete this next part within 30 minutes so as not to dry out the printhead or cartridges (read through the preparations below first):

Place a soft paper towel in the bottom of a container large enough to fit the printhead, then fill it with 1 1/2 inches of very hot, (but not boiling) water, microwaving it is fine and distilled water is best if you have that on hand. Next, unlatch the printhead, and unplug the printer, using these steps HERE

Then set it gently in the container, nozzle side down. Let it soak for 5 minutes, then remove the printhead. Take a damp paper towel, and fold over twice. Blot the printhead lightly on the paper towel a few times. Finally, using a paper towel and q-tips, dry the printhead as best you can. Dry the electrical contacts on the backside of the printhead with one horizontal wipe, left to right, but don't wipe the nozzle on the bottom. Now, reinsert the printhead along with the ink cartridges, plug and turn the printer back on, and a few more printhead cleanings as we did earlier. You may repeat the whole soaking process one more time if needed.

If it still doesn't print correctly on the nozzle test page after a deep printhead cleaning, you may want to try this printhead cleaning kit to flush out the nozzles, you will need to try this printhead cleaning kit to flush out the nozzles, click HERE

However, if you still face after trying the kit, you will need to replace the printhead to fix this (this is the component that holds all the ink cartridges).

You can call 1-800-652-2666 to order this component for your printer, it will come with directions on how to install. Canon will replace it without cost if you are still in warranty, if you are no longer in warranty however this part can vary from about $70-$100. Please let me know if you have any further questions on anything.

Best regards,
Bernie
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Bernie,
Tried your suggestions and problem still persist.
Is there anything else I can try?
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Yes, you can try the printhead flush I linked but you will need to order it from eBay.

I've seen it work where the cleaning/soaking has failed, and if it doesn't work, the seller will refund you.

However, if you do not want to try/wait for the printhead flush kit, you will need to replace the printhead itself at that point. The printhead is available from Amazon, HERE, but I suggest getting it direct from Canon if you do decide to go that route.

Thank you,
Bernie
Bernie, Printer Technician
Experience: 6+ years experience, Microsoft MCDST/CompTia A+ Certified
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Bernie,
Thanks for the help.
Looks like I will be ordering a print head.

Thanks again
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
You're very welcome, best regards