Andy, Elec & Comp pro
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

Canon Pixma MP500. It comes up with Error 5200 Can you help

Canon Pixma MP500. It comes up with Error 5200
Can you help please
Category: Printers
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.

Error 5200 means that paper jam or carriage jam, its a general Jam message.

The carriage should be on the right side when its in rest position.

So in your case it looks like the carriage is jammed. Turn off the printer and try to move the carriage with hand and see if something is jammed there.

If it does not move at all ... or problem persists then the carriage unit has failed and the printer needs to be repaired.

Feel free to ask any question or concern you may have. I will be glad to help you.

Positive Feedback and BONUS are always appreciated.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I had tried all this before, so nothing has changed. Any other ideas.
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.
Hi

This problem can happen because of following reasons :
1. There is some piece of paper / paper clip / sticker stuck inside printer and you are not able to access it. In this case you need to remove all ink cartridges, turn off printer for 30mins, then turn it upside down and shake it few times. If still not working then you need to open it up as much you can to see if something is stuck

2. The electric sensor which receives signal from the mechanical paper sensor to detect jam has issues. Either there is dust on it or its gone bad and needs replacement. You should first open up the printer and blow air in it (using compressed air can) to remove all dust. If it doesnt work then this repair will cost you much more than buying a new Printer. If its in warranty certainly call Canon.