Carl L
Carl L, Master Technician
Experience:  Current Electronics Shop Owner and Master Technician in FL.

My hp officejet 6500 E709a printer will not print black ink

My hp officejet 6500 E709a printer will not print black ink even after cleaning printhead completed. During cleaning process it cleaned the colors but not black. What do I need to do to get repaired?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Carl L replied 2 years ago.

Hi and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX have been repairing Electronics Professionally for over 13+ years and currently own a Shop in FL.

This is more than likely a bad Print Head. I see this problem and have to replace them all the time but lets clean it's contacts first just to say that we tried everything.

Step one: Remove, clean, and reinstall the printhead

1. Make sure that the product is turned on.
  2. Open the access door.
  3. Remove all the cartridges and place them on a piece of paper with the ink opening pointing up. NOTE:Do not leave the cartridge outside of the product longer than 30 minutes. This could result in damage to both the product and the ink cartridges. Figure 1: Remove ink cartridges
  4. Lift the latch handle on the print carriage until it stops. Figure 2: Lift the latch handle
  5. Remove the printhead by lifting it straight up. Figure 3: Remove printhead
  6. Clean the printhead. There are three areas of the printhead to clean: the plastic ramps on both sides of the ink nozzles, the edge between the nozzles, and the electrical contacts. Figure 4: Three areas to clean 1 - Plastic ramps on the sides of the nozzles 2 - Edge between nozzles and contacts 3 - Electrical contacts CAUTION:Do not touch the nozzles. Do not touch the electrical contact areas with your fingers. Tough the electrical contact areas only with cleaning materials. To clean the print head, follow these steps:
    1. Gather cleaning materials:
      • Use clean, lint-free cloth or paper. Coffee filters and eye-glass cleaning cloth work well.
      • Use distilled or bottled water.
    2. Lightly dampen a clean, lint-free cloth and wipe the electrical contact area from the bottom to the top. Do not go past the edge between the nozzles and the electrical contacts. Clean until no new ink shows on the cloth. Figure 5: Cleaning contacts
    3. Use a fresh, lightly dampened, lint-free cloth to wipe any accumulated ink and debris from the edge between the nozzles and the contacts. Figure 6: Cleaning edge
    4. Use a fresh, lightly dampened, lint-free cloth to wipe the plastic ramps on both sides of the nozzles. Wipe away from the nozzles. Figure 7: Cleaning ramps
    5. Wipe the previously cleaned areas dry with a dry lint-free cloth before proceeding to the next step.
  7. Clean the electrical contacts inside the product:
    1. Lightly dampen a clean, lint-free cloth with bottled or distilled water.
    2. Clean the electrical contacts in the product by wiping with the cloth from top to bottom. Use as many fresh, clean cloths as necessary. Clean until no ink shows on the cloth. Figure 8: Clean contacts inside product
    3. Wipe the area dry with a dry lint-free cloth before proceeding to the next step.
  8. Make sure the latch handle is up, and then reinsert the print head. Figure 9: Reinsert the print head
  9. Carefully lower the latch handle. NOTE:Make sure you lower the latch handle before reinserting the ink cartridges. Leaving the latch handle raised can result in incorrectly seated ink cartridges and problems printing. The latch must remain down to correctly install the cartridges. Figure 10: Lower the latch handle
  10. Use the colored shaped icons for a guide, and then slide each cartridge into its empty slot until it snaps securely into place. Figure 11: Reinsert the cartridges
  11. Close the access door.

Step two: Reset the printer

1. Turn off the product by pressing the on button ( ).
  2. Unplug the power cord from the back of the product.
  3. Wait 30 seconds.
  4. Plug in the power cord to the back of the product.
  5. Turn on the product by pressing the on button ( ).

If this doesn't fix the Black issue, the Print Head Pump for the Black has burned out and the Print Head will have to be replaced. This is a Foreign part and will have to be shipped internationally. You can purchase a new one from the UK for $60 here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-OfficeJet-printer-printhead-1-colour-cyan-magenta-yellow-black-Marley-CN643A-/160738648035?pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_Printing_PrinterInkCatridges_JN&hash=item256cc51fe3.

Please remember to press the accept/smiley face button to show that I have helped you, and to compensate me for my work. After pressing the accept button, the question is not closed and you can still post replies on this Q&A thread. If you still have additional questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Positive Feedback and (Bonus's) are always appreciated! :)

Thanks,
XXXXX XXXXXndsey

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is there no other place to order a newprint head? The black is still not printing after turn on, like you said.
Expert:  Carl L replied 2 years ago.

It's a foreign part. I've looked everywhere in the states and everyone's sold out. If you've dont the following and the black still isn't working then the Print Head is bad and will have to be replaced if you want to get the black working again.

Carl L, Master Technician
Experience: Current Electronics Shop Owner and Master Technician in FL.