Jason
Jason, Technician
Experience:  10+ years work experience.
30759776

I have an HP Officejet 6500 wireless printer and my network

Customer Question

I have an HP Officejet 6500 wireless printer and my network config page indicates I am offline. When I print from my laptop it shows to computer but it does not allow me to connect. I have no issues with the internet and it was working until I had to reinstall windows 7.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer ,My name isXXXXX will try to help you..

Do you have connected the printer with the desktop, by an USB cable?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes my desktop has been connected by a cable
Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 2 years ago.
If you have connected the printer with an USB cable to the desktop, then you have to share the printer from your desktop and then you can install the printer in your laptop, only if the laptop and desktop are in the same network. Do you have Windows XP, in both desktop and laptop?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No I have windows 7 on both computers
Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 2 years ago.
Currently, are you able to print from your desktop?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
YES
Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 2 years ago.
One last question, can access internet with the same modem, from both laptop and desktop?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The modem does not appear to be the question I can access it with two of my laptops and with the desktop.

Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 2 years ago.
Yes, that can be a question, because if you cannot access the desktop from your laptop or the laptop from your desktop, you will not be able to share the printer, you said that you have two laptops, can you print from the other laptop?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no in fact I cannot access my desktop from the laptop or laptop to desktop. Previously I was only able to print with my laptop when the desktop was logged on
Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 2 years ago.
Do you face this same problem of accessing on both the laptops or on a single one?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
None of the computers can access the other
Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for all the information.Now, read the steps below, very carefully, then follow them on your desktop and laptop as required and let me know.

There are several ways to access the HomeGroup feature, go to Control Panel and click on “Choose homegroup and sharing options” or just type “homegroup” without quotes into the start menu search bar.

control panel

Next click on the Create a homegroup button.

In the Create a HomeGroup screen select what you want to share with the other machines.

After the group is created you will get a password XXXXX access it from the other computers.

After you get the Password XXXXX’re brought back to the HomeGroup screen where you can make additional changes if you want.

Connecting to your HomeGroup

On the other Windows 7 computer(s) go into the HomeGroup feature and click to join the group you just created.

Enter in the password XXXXX was created for the HomeGroup.

When the password XXXXX XXXXX the connection will take place and your finished.

If you don’t want to use a password XXXXX all go into the Network and Sharing Center under advanced options and turn off password XXXXX sharing.

Another thing you might want to do is create a shortcut to the HomeGroup. I just go into Network and copy the icon to my desktop by Right-Clicking and dragging it. A more direct approach is to create shortcuts directly to the shared public folders but of course it’s completely up to you.

To share a printer make sure to select Printers when creating the group and when you go into Devices and Printers on the Start menu you should see it and can set it as the default if you wish.

This should help get you started sharing files and printers between your Windows 7 machines on your home network.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I followed your directions and it still will not print. In fact I couldn't print from the desktop ... I used the restore option to correct it. The icon for the laptop printer turns yellow instead of the green checkmark when I attempt to print.
Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 2 years ago.
Then I am out of ideas.I will open the question.So,that other experts can try to help you.You will be notified by email as soon as anyone replies you.

Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

How do you enable the HP Officejet 6500 to connect to a wireless network?

Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 2 years ago.
If you enable the wireless radio, then you will not be able use it from USB connection and you have to reinstall the printer from the beginning. Do you want to do that?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can both the laptop and desktop be installed without a USB connection and only use wireless?

Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 2 years ago.
Yes, it is possible, but to do that you will have to install a wireless card in your desktop PC.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So the logical solution is to have the desktop computer and laptop with the exact homegroup sharing information. Does the fact that my roommate has the desktop which she logged on for me and would be considered the administrator have anythikng to do with being unable to print from the laptop? I did make the password XXXXX the homegroup the same as well as all sharing information.
Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 2 years ago.
Yes, if you want to share the printer from the desktop, then the desktop and laptops should be in the same homegroup.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So does this mean that you have no solution other than having duplicate home groups and sharing information for both computers?
Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 2 years ago.
See, I have given you two solutions, one to share the printer and other to use the printer wirelessly and now you are saying, that I have no solutions for you. As I cannot see your PC or printer, I cannot help you further. I can only give you the instructions to solve your problem (which I have already given you), nothing more than, you have to follow the instructions after getting them. If you are confused with the steps, then it will better to take help from some neighbor or friend, who can help you to share the printer properly, by following my steps.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
I followed directions exactly but get an error message when I attempt to print. I have another hp Laserjet (just purchased) and had no problem installing it with a wireless connection. Why can't the Officejet 6500 be used with a wireless connection>
Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.
Follow these steps to connect the product to your wireless WLAN 802.11 network.
  1. On the product control panel, touch the Right Arrow ( ), and then touch Network .

2. Touch Wireless , touch Wireless Setup Wizard , and then touch OK .

3. Touch the name of your wireless network.

4. If prompted, enter the WEP or WPA key (here please enter your wireless network password. If you get an error here, please let me know):

1. Touch the appropriate letters or numbers on the on-screen keyboard.
      NOTE:You must enter the exact uppercase and lowercase letters. Otherwise, the wireless connection fails.

2. When you are finished entering the WEP key or WPA key, touch Done , and then touch OK to confirm.
      The product attempts to connect to the network.

5. Make sure that the product successfully connects to the network.
    NOTE: If a connection error message displays, make sure that the network name and security key are correct, and then follow the prompts to enter the information again.
    Source:hp.com

Then please install the printer software from your computers. When prompted select "wireless" or "networked" printer.

Please let me know if the issue is not solved clicking the "Reply to your expert" gray button, so we can continue troubleshooting.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please remember to press the ACCEPT button when we are finished, it is the only way I can get credit for helping you. I want you to be 100% satisfied so please, by all means ask any questions you might have on this subject. Positive feedback is always appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Since On the control panel screen and it says network you are unable to go to wireless. The screen indicates that you should refer to the manual. The manual suggestions haven't worked.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Since the control panel on the printer doesn't have the ability to go to wireless do you have any other suggestions?

Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.
OK.

Please download AND then Install the newest driver for your printer from here -----> http://goo.gl/0ji6S <===== CLICK HERE

Download AND then Install it.

NOTE:You might be asked to temporarily connect the USB cable to allow the software to determine your wireless network settings.

Also, when prompted select "networked" or "wireless", even if the printer is connected to the USB port temporarily.

When prompted for the SSID, select the Name of your new wireless network.

When asked for the WEP, WPA, KEY or network password, enter the password XXXXX your new wireless network. If you don't remember your network password XXXXX if you get an error message here, please let me know.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I downloaded from the HP site, and installed. I connected the USB cable from my computer to the printer and hit wireless. I printed out the network configuration page from the printer and can't go any further or enter the printer ip address since the configuration page says Network status - Offline --- Active Connection type - None. It does give the Host name, Serial number, hardware address but the Link configuration indicates none.
Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.

That's weird. Did you select "wireless"?

Then the installation asked you to connect the printer to the computer using a USB cable, temporarily?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did that. I unplugged it when when it completed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I reinstalled the hp download again and plugged in the cable from the hp officejet 6500 to my laptop. It went through the entire sequence and at the end there was a red X stating that their was no connection. It showed two computer the laptop and the desktop but no wirelss connection. The desktop is connected and prints fine although it is not wireless.

Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.
OK, unfortunately I am out of ideas. I will opt out so any other expert can try to help you. You will receive an email when another expert takes your question. The new expert will see all our previous thread, so no need to explain the issue again.

Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX your effort!
Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.

You are very welcome!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
I need to be able to print to my HP Officejet 6500 from my laptop with a wireless connection. My computer always says that the connection is offline
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  Michelle-Mod replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find an Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi, Yes I still need help. Thanks

Sometimes, finding another Expert can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly

Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Greetings,

Welcome to Just Answer.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be the expert working with you today to help resolve your problem.

Do you still need help with this problem? If so, may I remote into your computer and help you resolve the problem? I will send a remote link within minutes after your response, so please keep refreshing the page.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, the problem seems to be finding the connection between my laptop and HP Officejet 6500.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

Thank you.

Please, click the following link and allow the remote app to run: http://67.192.95.188:8040/?Session=70c140af-d120-4336-afc1-d32d42d741d3&SUPPORT=NET

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Jason, I am on my desktop can you help?
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

Yes and thank you.

I will have the next remote session link available and posted within the next 15 to 20 minutes.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have to leave for awhile but can you leave the link and I will get back to you.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

Thank you.

Please, let me know when you have returned.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK Jason, are you available?

Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

Yes, I am available.

The next remote session available for me will be in approximately 15 minutes.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

Thank you.

Please, click the following link and allow the remote app to run: http://67.192.95.188:8040/?Session=ebb52f79-bcd2-40ab-b038-e53eb73ea26b&SUPPORT=NET

Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
You may click the green ACCEPT ANSWER button on the bottom right of your screen now and leave any feedback for me that you feel is appropriate.

Thank you,
- Jason

If you ever want to work with me as your expert in the future, please bookmark the following website. You can ask any future questions directly to me and I will be the expert assigned to your case: http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-theextraordinaire/
Jason, Technician
Experience: 10+ years work experience.