PCDrMiller
PCDrMiller, Technician
Experience:  IT Specialist, Print Server Administrator, MFP expert

I just replaced ink cartridges but now the printer wont p

I just replaced ink cartridges but now the printer won't print.
Category: Printers
Expert:  PCDrMiller replied 2 years ago.

Hello, what is the brand and model number of your printer?

When you try to print or copy, does it act like it is printing but the page comes out blank?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My printer is a Canon PIXMA MP480 series. The paper cranks through the printer & it sounds as if it's printing but then the paper comes out blank.

I would suggest you try cleaning the printheads. You may need to do this 3-4 times to get results.

On the printer, push the menu button

then select maintenance and push ok

Then select cleaning and push ok.

If that does not help, there is also a "deep cleaning" that should be right under cleaning on the menu. Try running that a couple times.

Finally, you can print the nozzle check from the same maintenance menu.

I hope this helps.

PCDrMiller, Technician
Experience: IT Specialist, Print Server Administrator, MFP expert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well. I did what you suggested, both the general cleaning and the nozzle check (machine said nozzles were OK). This alerted me to the fact that there was a menu, so I set it up to print fr.om the camera. But I had the same problem -- lots of grinding but no picture. Since I had a time limit I got out my Selphy photp printer and it worked , so I got my pictures. I had originally hoped to get bigger prints froim my (Apple) computer but can make do with the 4x6s.
I am glad to have a clean printer but do wish I could make it print. Any more suggestions?

Try removing the cartridges from the printer, then unplug the printer and wait about 1 minute. After the minute, plug the printer back in and insert the cartridges when prompted.

While the printer is off, clean the contacts on the cartridges with a slightly damp cloth. Also make sure you removed the protective tape from the bottom. you might try setting them on a damp paper towel to see if any ink is coming out.

If they still do not work, you may have a defective cartridge.

PCDrMiller, Technician
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. I have to leave now so I'll have to try your suggestions later on aafter I get home. Will let you know what happenss.

Ok sounds good. If everything you are trying to print is still coming out blank, be sure that you run the deep cleaning procedure a couple times from the maintenance menu.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can't get the cartridges out. I must have done it before but can't remember how. Tried deep cleaning - still no printing. There is some sort of tape or plastic on the bottom of the cartridges -- should I have pulled that off???

Oh no...yes, that protective tape has to be removed before putting the cartridges in the printer. That would explain why it wasn't printing and the deep cleaning didn't help...it actually probably hurt the situation by trying the cleaning with the tape on the bottom.

Are you able to pinch the tabs on the locking cover and lift that up? That should free the cartridge so that it can be removed by pulling it out. If there is a mess of tape you might have to be a little forceful once you get the locking cover open, there should be little resistance to take them out.

graphic

PCDrMiller, Technician
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you! I have never felt like such a dumb bunny asI have since I started dealing with computers & their accessories. Pulling the tape off the cartridges did the trick; luckily the ink did not get messed up & I printed color successfully. I'll have other questions soon but right now I'm computered out.
No problem. Glad you got it sorted out.