jjjjm2011
jjjjm2011, Technician
Experience:  I have an AA in Electronic Systems Technology and have worked in the electronic field with the USAF for 8 years.
60271965

My Brother MFC-5890CN acts like it is printing a document but no ink or print on paper. C

My Brother MFC-5890CN acts like it is printing a document but no ink or print on paper. Copies print no problem. It's just when I send a doc to print.
Hi my name is Josh.
  • To fix this, uninstall the current driver first then install the new driver.
    To uninstall the current drivers, download the Uninstall Tool.
  • Unplug the FAX/DCP/MFC from the AC outlet and disconnect your FAX/DCP/MFC from your computer if you already connected an interface cable.
  • You must be logged on as an Administrator.
  • If the "User Account Control" prompt is displayed, click "Continue".
  • If the "Windows Security" alert prompt is displayed, click "Install this driver software anyway.
  1. Make a temporary folder or directory on your HDD [hard disk drive] as the location to save the downloaded self-extracting file, e.g. C:\brodnt
  2. Download the file to the temporary folder or directory you can download the file here: Click Here
  3. Once the download is complete, open the folder or directory and double click on the downloaded file to extract it. For example setupmfc290c
  4. You will find two folders: "Setupxxxx" (where xxxx = model name) and "Data" in the folder created in Step 3.
  5. Open the "Setupxxxx" directory and double click "Setup.exe".
  6. Select your language and click "OK".
  7. The installation will start. Please follow the installation screen directions.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Josh,

I followed all the instructions in your answer and everything seemed to go well, but when I tried to test it by printing a doc with color and a b/w doc it still did not actually print. It's going through the motions, it sounds like it's printing, but the paper doesn't have anything on it.

Let's try cleaning the printer heads. Click this link for instructions.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I cleaned for black and color, printed a test page, and the colors look fine but no black printed. I did that twice. Next I tried cleaning only black. The first test sheet was almost okay so I told it that the color was okay but not the black, cleaned again. Test print looked good so I tried printing a doc from my computer. That worked.

Don't know why the problem with printing jobs but not with the copy function?

Not on topic of my printing issue, but this machine "jams" on every other print or copy. It pulls a sheet from the tray that ends up under the tray when I pull it out to "unjam" it. And the alignment is still pretty off even after doing alignment checks for hours yesterday. I inherited this unit from a previous employee and am finding it to be about as useful. Frown How much is a subscription so you can help me with these issues? Should I just take the thing out back and go "Office Space" on it?

Can you tell me how old this unit is? You will not be charged unless you are satisfied with the answer.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

A previous employee purchased it three years ago.

Sorry to reask but did you say the copier works fine but it will not print? Are you using Brother ink cartridges? Do you have the user guide?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No problem. The issue I was having was that it would not print a doc I send to print (it would act like it was printing but no ink on paper), but it would copy just fine. I took all of the steps you suggested and it is now printing docs I send.

Using recycled cartridges, might that be a problem? Would that also cause alignment to be off?

Yes. With Brother printers, you have to use only new Brother cartridges are you run into problems with alignment and ink distribution issues.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Well that explains all. I appreciate all of your assistance today Josh, you have more than earned any money associated. Take care!
Your quite welcome. Please come back if you have more questions on any electronics.