Richard, Technician
Experience:  AAS Degree in Computer Technology.

My Canon Pixma MP830 will no longer scan or copy. It prints

My Canon Pixma MP830 will no longer scan or copy. It prints ok. The machine was shut down for about 2 weeks while I traveled and then would not scan or copy when I restarted it. The MP Navigator software runs ok but then times out and lists a code 2,178,0. The lock switch is released. The commands work fine but when I ask to scan a document, nothing happens for about one minute and then the error message appears. Help!

Hi. I am Rick. I will be your expert.

I need you to un install and then re install the printer. re install the drivers for it. See if that helps and let me know.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Rick, your website keeps trying to sign me up for monthly $28. I don't want that. Will there only be a single $28 charge or am I signing up for multiple payments? Please confirm that I will not be charged beyond the $28.

Should I use the original disk for installation or go online?

There is only the one charge. The accept button will only charge the single fee.

As for installing, I would go online thisway you get the lates drivers available.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I thought I sent an additional response but don't see it. When I accept an answer it takes me to a "satisfaction" screen. Do I have to pay extra for every answer?

Reloading the driver on one of my two computers and retrying the scan function didn't work. The printer does not respond to the computer software. I can print but the scanner and copy functions don't work.

Just respond to me from this site and do not press accept again and you will not be charged again. If you downloaded the drivers from the web and the scanner/copier will still not respond there is a problem with the scanner unit of the printer. Are you sure you got the latest drivers from the internet?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes I have the newest drivers from the internet. It was actually the same driver that was on the computer before but I still uninstalled and downloaded it. I suspect the problem is with the scanner unit but am trying to find out if it can be fixed.
The scanner unit can be replaced but the cost of getting this and replacing it would be almost as much as the printer.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I was afraid of that. So your basically saying I need a new printer?
It would sure be the least expensive way.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I was afraid of that. I guess I'll go check pricing at staples.
Ok. Happy shopping. If I can be of any further assistance, let m know.