John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

I have a Canon Pixma MX 410. When I try to scan, the error

Customer Question

I have a Canon Pixma MX 410.

When I try to scan, the error message Please wait a while appears- it just stays in this status.

Also, when I am trying to fax, it first scans the document. One done, the LCD flashes TEL prior and then Auto redial-

This machine worked fine until 2 weeks ago--

The printing on this machine works fine-

Your help would be appreciated
Category: Printers
Expert:  Mary replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I'm Mary and I'll do my best to help you solve your scanning issue.

However, you've asked two very different questions in the same post, as we can only tackle one at a time.

I suggest we deal with the scanning issue first and then later deal with the faxing problem in a separate listing.

Agreed?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
agreed

again this machine worked perfectly until 2 weeks ago
Expert:  Mary replied 2 years ago.
I'd almost bet money that a recent system upgrade has disabled the scan driver.

Now I'm going to need more information about your environment:

What is your computer's operating system and which version?

If Windows, do this:

Click on your Start Menu button
Right click on My Computer
Choose Properties

If Mac:

Apple Menu / About this Mac

Finally, two further questions:

How is the printer/scanner connected to your computer (USB, wireless, etc)?

What program are you using to try to scan (Canon's MP Navigator, or some other)?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The OS is Windows 7 Home Premium

It is connected via USB--nothing done wirelessly

I am using the software that came with the printer/scanner to scan

Expert:  Mary replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for that info, and I just have one more tiny bit of information I need:

When you looked in the Start Menu / My Computer / Properties, was your version of Windows 7 listed as 32- or 64-bit?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
64 bit
Expert:  Mary replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for checking, that was important as the updated software and drivers (which I am uploading for you now) do depend on that.

It will take 15 or so minutes to upload this new software for you, so stand by. As soon as it's ready, I'll reply back here with a download link.

In the meantime, please check to make sure that your Window 7 is completely updated. You might have set this to happen automatically, but if not, please do check.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
how do I check if Windows 7 is completely updated?
Expert:  Mary replied 2 years ago.
Very easy:

Click on your Start Menu button
Choose Control Panel
Choose System and Security
Choose Windows Update
Choose Check for Updates

Let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is installing the latest 3 updates now- If it asks me to reboot, how will I find you again?
Expert:  Mary replied 2 years ago.
You can just bookmark this page in your browser and then, after you reboot and come back online, choose that bookmark in your browser to return to our discussion.

I'm glad you found updates, as this might be a BIG part of the problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
they are done- I really hope this works- Look forward to your response
Expert:  Mary replied 2 years ago.
Ok, great!

Now, please click on the following link and download the file.

If asked when downloading, don't try to run, but rather save to your computer. Doesn't matter where you save it, as long as you can find it after it's done.

I usually recommend choosing to save to the desktop, but as I said, it isn't that crucial.

http://www.mediafire.com/?c2ysy9h3x15xnb5
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
big file- taking awhile to open--but I am patient! :)
Expert:  Mary replied 2 years ago.
Let me know when you're ready for the next steps.