Richard, Technician
Experience:  AAS Degree in Computer Technology.

ScanGear error: Cannot communicate with scanner. etc, etc.I

Customer Question

ScanGear error: Cannot communicate with scanner. etc, etc.
I have windows 7 (x64). CanoScan 8800f, driver version (5/7/2009).
I have uninstalled, reinstalled several times, replaced usb cablewith a new high speed cable.
Used all the usb connections.
This problem has been going on for 3 months and still can't get it resolved. Any help would be appreciated
Category: Printers
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

Hi. I am Rick. I will be your expert.

I have one question for you. Did you install the drivers you show in your original question?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Rick - I installed the following files from

8800fwin641305ej.exe, argb1998win141ea24.exe, mpnx_1_0-win-1_07-ej.exe, and smwin143en.exe.

I also cleaned out the Windows\Twain_32 for a clean install.

Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
Ok. According to Microsoft this machine is compatible with windows 7 without doing anything but plugging it in. Try removing all drivers you put on and then just plug in th scannr and see if it sets up on its own. Let m know how this goes.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Disconnected the scanner. Removed all the drivers installed. Reconnected the scanner. Windows could not find driver so windows located the driver at Canon and downloaded it. (same driver I just removed.) Driver installed, tried a scan and received the same message from scangear.

Cannot communicate with scanner. Cable may be disconnected or scanner may be turned off. Check status. Scanner driver will be closed.

Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
Ok. This is what it should have done bu the problem you are having is not the drivers but in fact it is the control board for the scanner. This circuit board is what controlls the signals form the scanner and it is bad and no responding. Have you ever had a power surge or any power outage with the scanner plugged in?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The scanner and laser printer are plugged into the same surge suppressor and, as far as I know, not power surges. These two periferals are not plugged into the same source as the computer. I purchased this scanner April, 2010. I'm guessing it would be better to replace than to fix!!!
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
Tat would be the botXXXXX XXXXXne. The scanner unit that contains this board would be as expensive to replace as the whole printer, and that is assuming you could find one.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you. I have been soooooo frustrated these past weeks. It's nice to know the problem is mechanical - not mental!!
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
You are very welcome. Next time come back to us before you get the ulcer. Have a great day.