Russell H., Printer and Office
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

I have a brother printer model MFc-7840W. Ive had it for

I have a brother printer model MFc-7840W. I've had it for a while and it has always worked well. Recently we changed our wifi for a stronger one. Ever since then, we cannot connect to the wireless printer. On the printer itself in the window, I can see that it recognizes the wifi UID, but still it won't connect. What is the problem? I've tried everything and so has my technically wavy son. Please advise.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.
When you say you changed your wifi for a stronger one, do you mean that you changed your wireless router or networking box? if so, inform me what the maker and model # XXXXX the new networking box is. Thanks.

Also, please inform me whether you have a Windows PC or an Apple computer.

If it is a Windows PC, then please go to

Start - Control Panel - System

on your PC, and let me know what the Windows type/version now running on your PC is. Also please check for the 'System Type', which should be about half-way down the System info window, and should be either 32-bit or 64-bit. Thanks.

(If an Apple computer, please click on the multicolored apple logo, then choose About This Mac, and read off the 10.X.x MAC OS X version #. Thanks.)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The model is a Motorolla SBG 6580 Surfboard. For the wifi. We changed the router. And I have an Apole computer OSX version 10.7.2. I also have n iPad and an older Mac OSX10.6.8
Did the older Mac also print to the Brother printer, previously, via wireless? if so, try it now if you haven't already, and see whether both computers cannot print wirelessly.

Let me know the result.

Also let me know, whether the Mac computer(s) can connect to Internet through the new Motorola Surfboard. Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
All computers connect to the Motorolla wifi no problem. We have internet on all. No computer connects to the printer although they did before with the old wifi. But none work with the new wifi.
OK, try this first with the older Mac computer only, the one with MAC OS X 10.6.8:

http://host220.brother.com:8080/sap%28bD1lbiZjPTAxMA==%29/bc/bsp/sap/zsdb/display.htm?solution=200000026308

If that doesn't work by itself, than go through the following procedure:

1. turn off and disconnect the Brother printer, both from the power source and from the computer or network box (if it is attached to that by a cable). Leave it that way until asked to by the installation routine, or until the installation is done.

2. Remove the printer from the printers list on the computer, if it is listed there.

3. Reboot your computer.

4. Download your new driver for this printer, for MAC OS 10.6 of course, from:
http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public/us/us/en/dlf/download_index.html?reg=us&c=us&lang=en&prod=mfc7840w_all&dlid=&flang=English&os=94&type2=-1
- download the CUPS Printer Driver, which is a DMG file. (For the scanner functions, also download the Scanner Driver.)

5. Install software from the DMG file... which should, once downloaded, be mountable as a disk-like entity, then readable from for various files/programs, to run or copy as needed for the install.

That should do it for the older computer. Let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The URL you gave me doesn't work just tried it and there's an ERROR message.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Also I don't understand when you say "until asked by the installation routine or until the installation is done" what does that mean and what are you referring to. If I unplug the printer, that means it has no connection to anything and certainly won't start up anything on its own. Please explain .
That would be the first of those two URLs. Let me look up and find out what I did wrong in that citation...

... I find that you might want to try this page instead:

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/BSC/public/us/us/en/faq/faq/000000/002600/000056/faq002656_002.html?reg=us&c=us&lang=en&prod=mfc7840w_all&Cat=114

and then try the uninstall-reinstall 5 step procedure I detailed in my previous Answer, if that doesn't help.

As for 'until the installation routine asks you to', specifically it will complain if your printer is not hooked up... at which point, you should hook it up. If it doesn't, then hook it up whenever the install is done, or at whatever time seems sensible, but not just at first.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you or the new information. But let me clarify. The computer is on one end of the room and the router on the other. They are not connect and never were. Is that a problem now? Because it wasn't with the old wifi router.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This is why I believe if I turn off the printer it'll simply be dead, it won't request something it isn't attached to. Am I right?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When I said the Ringer recognized the router but doesn't connect, I was wrong. I just realized that it is still searching for the old router that had the same name. Therefore it has no connection to the new router like I thought it had.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I mean router. The iPad has a mind of its own and I write much too fast. Sorry for the mistakes.
No, just being across the room won't affect the wifi signal, unless there is large heavy and metal-containing or mostly-metal furniture between the printer and the router. It's unlikely in short.

Maybe under the detailed circumstances you have explained, turning off the printer won't be necessary. But cycling its power (Off for 1/2 minute +, then On again) at the beginning might not hurt the whole process.

Answer to your newest post: Yes! good, you just need to reconnect the printer properly, to the new router name etc., not the old. Set up the printer that way, see whether the computers can connect to it, without any uninstalling or reinstalling of software on the computers.
Russell H., Printer and Office
Experience: 11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Shouldn't the printer recognize the new wifi on its own? It gets a bit complicated becase the old router and the new one have the same UID. This is where the confusion came on my part. I just realized this. Ok so turn off the computer, turn off the printer an dwait? Is this what you're saying?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do I set the printer to reconnect to the computer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can you tell me what SSID means?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What does ad-HOC or INFRASCTRUCTURE mean?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can you please tell me how to completely clear all information from the printer. That way I can reconnect it from scratch. Right now it keeps seeing the old router.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
And what is WEP?
To deal with your queries more or less in order:

Shouldn't the printer recognize the new wifi on its own?

No. They don't do that. You have to tell them what to do about a new router, specifically.

the old router and the new one have the same UID.

But they are different, to the connecting device such as your printer, nonetheless... esp. if they have a different encryption code or 'WEP' or 'WPA' or 'passphrase'... the "wireless password" as it is somewhat incorrectly known.

Can you tell me what SSID means?

It's the router or other wireless device's 'name', to any connecting device. It identifies it as a "wireless station named [SSID]".

You have an Infrastructure type wireless network - because you have a router. ("Ad-hoc" means without router.)

And what is WEP?

Wireless Encryption Password. See also explication above.

Setting the printer to reconnect to the computer is not what you're aiming at... and it doesn't do that. The computer sends to the printer, not vice-versa. You need to set the computer to send through the new router - this means that the most efficient way of going about this is to uninstall and reinstall the printer's driver... as for the new router having the same SSID, that complicates things to a minor degree, but the real question is, does it have the same WEP or other passphrase or wireless password XXXXX ??
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My son uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled them. This did not work. The WEP which I'm guessing is the password XXXXX the wifi, is different than the previous one. Same UID, different password. What next?
If the WEP that is different is the password for the new Motorola SurfBoard wireless router, then you need to find out what that password is. The printer itself won't pay any attention - or won't understand, if it does - any signals from the wireless router (and thus from the computer) without having the WEP given to it in its setup.

You'll first need to enable wireless communication on the printer (but probably it is already). Then you'll need to put in all the settings - including the ones that are already OK, but especially the new WEP of the new router - into the printer's setup.

Go through these instructions, to do that:

http://www.brother-usa.com/FAQs/Solution.aspx?FAQID=200000026308&Sympt=How+do+I+join+the+Broth er+machine+to+an+Infrastructure+Wireless+Network%3f++Windows+2000%2c+Macintosh+OSX+10.2.4%2c+10.3%2c+10.4%2c+10.5%2c+10.6or+10.7&Model=1292&ProductGroup=5&Keyword=wireless%20setup&ProductID=MFC7840W#.Ty03GIE0bKQ

If this helps with the problem and answers your question, then please click once on Accept for my Answer. (Only then will I be paid, by deduction of my share from the funds already deposited by you with JustAnswer. Thanks.)
- Favorable feedback is appreciated.
(If this answer is still in any way inadequate, just ask for further details and I will try to get the right and complete answer to you.)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So far I can say with all certainty that nothing you've done has helped. And neither has the page you referred me to. I wish it were otherwise but it isn't. I'm at a loss, but need to be able to print. Why the printer won't accept the password which I put in is beyond me. All other devices accepted it no problem. Is it possible that this printer is incompatible with the Motorolla Surfboard Wireless Route? If so could someone please confirm that. I'm extremely frustrated and would hate to have to go out and buy another printer for some stupid reason, just because we upgraded our internets service.
Try entering the WEP code for the new Motorola - I have seen this sort of case before. And in previous cases, the problem was, not observing the distinction between capitalized letters and lower-case letters, when entering the WEP code. That is vital and you must enter the code correctly as to upper-case or lower-case letters. This is often the problem.

Try again, with that in mind, once more, I advise.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did that. It wasn't a WEP because such a number doesn't exist on the router box, but it was the WPA-PSK #. I respected the upper case letters and input the info exactly like it's written on the router box. I also tried it with the SSID.
I made the mistake of removing the drivers from my Mac (the newer one) because I wanted to re-install them. Then I realized that I can't find the disk anymore and BROTHER doesn't allow one to download the drivers from their sight. How can I get the drivers so I can see what happens when I download them to my computer.
I'm scared to do anything with the older computer because then we won't have any drivers, unless I can get them from BROTHER. Can you help me with this? It's the last resort to figuring out this problem I feel.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
I want an answer to my problem. I pushed SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER by mistakes when in fact I'm not satisfied. The technician was fine I just need to get an answer because everything so far hasn't worked. I was just asking him for drivers because on the BROTHERS website you don't allow to download drivers. I hope by reinstalling drivers this will fix the connection problem I've been having for too many days now.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Russell I'm hoping you can tell me how to get drivers for the printer. Like I was saying the BROTHERS website doesn't allow me to download them. Still I need them to see if, by reinstalling them it will fix the problem. Right now I don't have any drivers installed on my computer (the newer Mac). Please help.
I can't answer immediately in the wee hours (where I am, your last 3 responses were unanswered for a time because I was, obligatorily, getting some sleep! around 3 a.m. local time), I'm sorry to say.

As for the drivers for this Brother machine, if you know where to look for them, Brother definitely allows downloading of drivers for MAC OS X 10.7, here:

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public/us/us/en/dlf/download_index.html?reg=us&c=us&lang=en&prod=mfc7840w_all&dlid=&flang=English&os=108&type2=-1

The two at the top of the list are the ones to get, the CUPS driver for printing and the Scanner driver.