Bernie
Bernie, Printer Technician
Experience:  6+ years experience, Microsoft MCDST/CompTia A+ Certified
46068869

I have an HP 5510 photosmart printer and replaced black ink

I have an HP 5510 photosmart printer and replaced black ink cartridge...now although it shows that there is black ink in it it is not printing black ???????
Category: Printers
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and thanks for asking your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be your expert today.

Please open the printer and take out the black ink cartridge, and make sure all prepackaged tape has been taken off the nozzle. Then reinsert it, and try to print again.

If still no black, pleaes print a test page for me:

1. Load plain white U.S. letter or A4 size paper in the tray.
  2. From the control panel home screen on the printer itself, touch the Right Arrow, and then touch the Setup icon
  3. Touch Tools , and then touch Print Quality Report . A Print Quality Diagnostic Report prints.
    Figure 6: Example Print Quality Diagnostic Report
    Image: Example Print quality Diagnostic Report

source

Is black missing from the test page?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Have done all of that earlier but no black lettering printing

Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
I see, have you already run the built in printhead cleaning?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Can you open the printer and look at the printhead, does it have a latch on the right side indicating it is removable?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

is that the device that holds the cartridges

Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Yes, that's correct, see in this illustration how there appears to be a latch on the right side of it, is that there on your printhead?

graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no there are only latches on the cartridges themselves and all are clicked in....the crazy part is that when you do a ink level test sheet it shows there is black ink but if you do a system analysis all other colors show levels and black shows empty !!!!
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
That is strange, are you using genuine HP cartridges, or refilled/generic?

If you put your old cartridges (if you have them), and then try a diagnostic test page, does it print that or does it say out of ink?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes genuine...message came up on pc that black was low a few days ago while printing tonight black went dead printer itself never gave indication of black out of ink...tried two new genuine black but still no black print
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX open the printer again and remove all cartridges > Turn off the printer and disconnect everything

Check all the black cartridge in this location:

graphic

And make sure it is vented correctly:

Normal

graphic

Clogged

graphic

You can use a pin to clear the vent if necessary.

Finally, make sure that any prepackaging has been taken off:

graphic

Now reinsert all cartridges, Unplug the printer sharply from the power outlet while it is still on > While the printer is off, press and hold the power button for 1 minute

Finally, while holding down the stop/cancel button (or just the power button if you don't have those), plug the printer back in, and power on the printer if it doesn't do so automatically, then try the diagnostic test page again and see if there is any black printing. If not please exchange the black ink cartridge for another one.

However, if you still face the same issue, unfortunately this means the printhead will need to be replaced (Either the sensor that detects that particular black cartridge has failed, or that nozzle is permanentely clogged). I have seen this happen quite suddenly before, if the warranty is out, it may be more cost effective to buy a new printer, but you may certainly call 1-800-474-6836 first to get a quote for this part.

Best regards,
Bernie
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Tried all.....no luck....printer is only three months old and not used extensively !!!! Have had pretty good luck with hp products ....is this a decent unit ???? It performed well up until tonight ....do you feel it is a good unit cause guess i will replace
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
I see, that is certainly a very new printer, the good news is that HP should definitely cover you for any printhead replacement repairs should it come to that.

This model is a newer model and it's better than what HP has released in the past in this price range, in my opinion HP usually makes pretty decent printer models that last at least 3-5 years, and this would definitely be an anomaly for the printer to fail so early. I would recommend having the unit replaced/repaired as HP should offer to do so no further charge. I personally use HP and Epson printers.
Bernie, Printer Technician
Experience: 6+ years experience, Microsoft MCDST/CompTia A+ Certified