Richard, Technician
Experience:  AAS Degree in Computer Technology.

Why do I get error 5100 on my new Cannon Pixma MX410 during

Why do I get error 5100 on my new Cannon Pixma MX410 during installation?

Hi. I am Rick. I will be your expert.

Even on new Canon printers there are 3 possibilities for this error. Give these a try and see if one of them works for you.

Solution 1:

• Look inside for a tiny object like a piece of paper, a staple...

Solution 2:

• The purge cap (the white sliding mechanism that the print head parks to when it's not in use) may be not lubricated well enough . Lubricate the sliders with some white grease (don't get it on the small wipers or the black caps); this repair probably require to remove the right panel off of the printer to gain access to the purge mechanism.

Solution 3:

• Clean the timing strip: there is a thin plastic strip running across the width in front of and below the drive belt: there are fine black vertical lines on this strip. If the strip gets a piece of crud on it, you get an error during the start-up sequence.Gently clean this strip with a damp lint-free tissue.
  • photo:

(you can see a transparent horizontal strip object which controls the movement of the printer head slots.)