sandy
sandy, Engineer
Experience:  B.tech, 7+ years of experience
33602187

Where do I find my WPA passphrase for my HP wireless printer?

Where do I find my WPA passphrase for my HP wireless printer? Have not been able to use printr since we went to ATT. Please help. Thanks
Category: Printers
Expert:  sandy replied 5 years ago.
Hello My Friend,

Welcome to Just Answer.com. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a Microsoft- Certified Technician and will assist you today.

Please tell me about the make of the router? linksys, netgear, belkin?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I do not see any answer?
Expert:  sandy replied 5 years ago.
You need to tell me about the make of the router:

I will surely show you some light
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Linksys Thanks
Expert:  sandy replied 5 years ago.

How to find the key or password:

Please, follow these steps on the computer(like your desktop computer) which is connected to the router using an ethernet cable. However, if you have only laptop, please connect an extra cable from router to laptop

Open your web browser, like internet explorer. Delete everything from the address bar(the box that start with
http) and type in 192.168.1.1(if this does not work, please type 192.168.2.1 or 192.168.1.2) and hit "Enter."

Or you can click http://192.168.1.1/

Now it will ask you for user name and password

username=keep it blank(do not type in anything in this box)
password=admin

or (if this does not work)

Use
admin as the user name in the pop-up box and admin in the password XXXXX

Now,

Now, you will see your SSID. This is the name of the network you will see it under available network connections.

Under Wireless, Go to Basic wireless settings, Wireless security
You will find your key here.

Message from Expert, Sandy(Me)

Please let me know if you need further help instead of giving up and leaving negative feedback.

Please scroll down and click ACCEPT Button as this is how I am paid for my time, work and efforts and earn my living out of it. Clicking ACCEPT does not charge you anything extra. You can return to this question at any time after Accepting. Thank you! Bonus and positive feedback will be highly appreciated. If you have other queries, please reply back instead of leaving negative feedback.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I see a reply with only a http// that goes nowhere. I'm either not seeing your reply or looking in the wrong place??

Expert:  sandy replied 5 years ago.

If these do not work,

You need to reset it using the paper clip.

Please check the videos under the link below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZH2TxBnzoI

Now, please try to connect wireless.

It will not ask you any kind of key. However, if asks for the key again, please disconnect the cables connecting the modem, router, comptuer and turn them off. Now, please connect the cables again and turn on modem, router and comptuer respectively.

Modem must be connected to internet/wan port of the router.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I followed you advice. now the printer works but we can not get into our att.net internet. I am on my computer at school and can no longer get on the internet at home. Mary Ellen
Expert:  sandy replied 5 years ago.
Hi Mary,

Congrats. the printer is working now.

I belive you have Windows xp on the computer and you want to connect wireless on the computer.

Please follow these steps on the computer.

1. Click Start, Run, and type ncpa.cpl, and then click Ok.
2. Right-click the Wireless Network Connection icon, and then choose Properties. (Or you can right click the Wireless Network Connection icon and choose View Available Wireless Networks from the shortcut menu.)
3. Click the Wireless Networks tab.
4. Make sure, Use windows to configure wireless must be checked.
5. Under Preferred Networks, please select the networks one by one and click Remove.
6. click apply and OK.

7. Now, try to connect wireless.
8. If this does not work, please restart your computer and try to connect wireless again.

I have checked and found that you have not Accepted the Answer.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thanks, XXXXX XXXXX am on my school computer and will have to follow your directions when I get home. I will either email from home,if I get connected or reply when I come to school tomorrow. Mary Ellen
Expert:  sandy replied 5 years ago.
Thank you, Mary.