WesPCDr
WesPCDr, Technician
Experience:  Over 5 years as a computer and printer repair technician

How do i resolve the service error code 49.4C02 for a HP Laserjet

How do i resolve the service error code 49.4C02 for a HP Laserjet 2420D?
Category: Printers
Expert:  WesPCDr replied 2 years ago.

WesPCDr :

Hi, I can help answer your question.

WesPCDr :

Are you printing PDF's when you get this error?

WesPCDr :

Under the Adobe Reader Print dialog, Press the "advanced" button and mark the "Print as Image" option.

Customer:

No it's not a PDF

WesPCDr :

The error code indicates a corrupt memory or a bad driver corrupting the data.

WesPCDr :

Try re-installing the printer driver to resolve the issue.

Customer:

how do i reinstall the printer driver

WesPCDr :

If that does not work, then you'll need to re-seat the memory modules inside the printer.

Customer:

how do i reinstall the printer driver?

WesPCDr :

What Operating System are you using?

Customer:

windows xp professional

WesPCDr :

Ok. THanks.

WesPCDr :

One moment please.

WesPCDr :

Click Start, Printers, then delete the printer from the printer dialog box.

WesPCDr :

Click Start, Printers and Faxes
Right-click the Printer and select Properties
Click the Avdvanced Tab and click New Driver
Choose the driver for your printer and follow the prompts

WesPCDr :

Don't worry about deleting the printer if you haven't done it already.

Customer:

ok-trying now-stand by

WesPCDr :

ok

Customer:

the computer froze when i tried to do that-it's restarting now and then i will try again to reinstall the driver

WesPCDr :

Ok

Customer:

the computer restarted, but it will not let me get to that printer's properties-i tried right clicking, i tried going through the control panel and i tried the properties on the right side-nothing

WesPCDr :

Ok. Delete the printer in the Printer windows.

WesPCDr :

WesPCDr :

Double-click Add Printer to start the Add Printer Wizard, and then click Next.

Click Local printer, and then click Next.

Customer:

my concern is this: if i delete it, how can i get it back? obviously this is an old printer and i don't have any disks associated with it

WesPCDr :

Follow the prompts to install the HP Laserjet 2420D printer.

WesPCDr :

When you choose Add Local Printer, you will see the Drivers to install the printer.

Customer:

ok-trying now stand by please

WesPCDr :

ok

Customer:

the error code is gone but still won't print

WesPCDr :

Did you add the printer back and set the port to LPT1?

Customer:

yes

WesPCDr :

What does the print job say when you open the printer?

Customer:

and the printer itself says "ready" and i printed one of the internal pages from the printer with no problem. i just can't print from the computer. i tried using notepad too. the print job just says pending-printer light doesn't even blink, so i know it's not sent

WesPCDr :

Try rebooting the computer, sometimes the LPT1 port stays in use and is not released by the system.

WesPCDr :

You may need to delete the pritner again, then reboot, then add the printer back.

Customer:

i've rebooted it and still not working

WesPCDr, Technician
Experience: Over 5 years as a computer and printer repair technician