Robert Preston
Robert Preston, Technician
Experience:  5+ Years of Hardware Printer repair including installation and repair of Xerox MFP devices

B200 error on Canon MP640, inks are full. Stopped during a

B200 error on Canon MP640, inks are full. Stopped during a copy. Need to know if this is a printhead issue or maybe more. Unit has not been used much at all and is 1 1/2 years old.....
Category: Printers
Expert:  Robert Preston replied 4 years ago.

Robert Preston :

Welcome to JustAnswer. My name isXXXXX and I will be assisting you with your problem today.

Error B200 on Canon printers is a print head error. The print head is what the cartridges sit in inside of the printer. To attempt to resolve it, do the following:

(1) Open the printer and wait for the carriage to slide over
(2) Remove the ink cartridges from the print head.
(3) Use cotton swabs dipped in hot water to thoroughly clean the print head and each ink cartridge.
(4) Repeat this until there is no ink residue coming off on the cotton swab.
(5) Once finished, allow to dry and replace the cartridges
(6) Try to print something now

If that does not work then you have one of two possibilities:
(1) One of the ink cartridges is defective and causing the error
(2) If it's definitely not that, then the print head will need to be replaced.

Thanks and please click the green ACCEPT button if you are satisfied with my answer.

Did not work, is the print head the only culprit? All the cartridges light up full.

Robert Preston :

Yes, the B200 error is specifically a printhead error.

Is the waste ink part of the print head?

Robert Preston :

It's on the print carriage, but the B200 error has nothing to do with the waste tank.

Robert Preston :

B200 is either the printhead or a voltage problem with the print carriage.

Robert Preston :

No other possibilities.

I don't use this printer much, and I read that this could be a problem in itself. Is it true that a print head usually lasts only a year or so?

Robert Preston :

No, but a printer sitting idle with ink cartridges can cause leakage/drying of ink that could damage the print head if it's not used regularly.

So, if I buy this print head, and that doesn't work, it could be another problem(voltage). Seems to me that I should put the amount of the print head($95) toward another printer. Downside is that I have 2 extra inks of each color($80) What to do.................