Robert Preston
Robert Preston, Technician
Experience:  5+ Years of Hardware Printer repair including installation and repair of Xerox MFP devices

How do I get rid of light black lines on all my copies of pictures

How do I get rid of light black lines on all my copies of pictures on my HP OFFICEJET PRO
Category: Printers
Expert:  Robert Preston replied 4 years ago.

Robert Preston :

Welcome to JustAnswer. My name isXXXXX and I will be assisting you with your problem today.

Most likely this is a print head issue. The print head is what the cartridges sit in inside of the printer. To attempt to resolve it, do the following:

(1) Open the printer and wait for the carriage to slide over
(2) Remove the ink cartridges from the print head.
(3) Use cotton swabs dipped in hot water to thoroughly clean the print head and each ink cartridge.
(4) Repeat this until there is no ink residue coming off on the cotton swab.
(5) Once finished, allow to dry and replace the cartridges
(6) Try to print something now

If that does not work then you have one of two possibilities:
(1) One of the ink cartridges is defective and causing the error
(2) If it's definitely not that, then the print head will need to be replaced.

Thanks and please click the green ACCEPT button if you are satisfied with my answer.

Robert, the lines are not on my "regular" paper when I make copies of pictures but show up only on glossy paper when I try and print the same pictures off my computer. Weird?

Robert Preston :

Slightly, but still a printhead problem. Most likely only occurring with a different thickness of paper. Just to be sure, make sure you're using the correct side of the photo paper and ensure you're setting the paper type correctly when printing.

Robert Preston :

If it still occurs after checking those, definitely printhead related.

I placed the "regular" paper picture on the glass of the computer and printed it. No problem at all with the printing on regular paper in the machine but when I did the same with the glossy paper, lines were much lighter on the picture but not near a bad. Assuming glossy paper is simply too "thick" for this type copying procedure> Is that possible?

Robert Preston :

It's possible but unlikely. Generally the behavior you're describing is always a result of a printhead issue, but it could be an issue with the paper. What brand of photo paper are you using?

I am using HP copying paper and I have an hp machine. Just can't figure out why the regular paper copies come out with NO LINES at all--but the glossy, very light black lines but not AS BAD after I did what you said with cleaning the printheads. Thank you for your help, though . I will press "ACCEPT" at this point. Have a good day! Bob F.