Sowrav D.
Sowrav D., Engineer
Experience:  Completed Course In Computer Hardware and Printer Repairing
33155275

Canon PIXMA MP250 Scanner - Trying to scan document (text,

Canon PIXMA MP250 Scanner - Trying to scan document (text, logos, images) & make it editable. I have scanned a document and sent it to Word. Result is Greek. Is there a separte driver to accomplish this?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer ,My name isXXXXX will try to help you..

Do you use Windows XP?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I use XP Ser.3
Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX want to edit text after scanning, then you have to scan your documents in OCR mode, but remember one thing, you may get best result, if you scan printed documents instead of hand written ones. There can be some missing charecters in the scanned documents and mis aligned paragraphs.Anyway, if you have MP Navigator software installed in your PC, then follow the steps below.

1. On the Windows desktop, double-click MP Navigator EX icon.
    1. Alternatively, on the Windows taskbar, click 'Start'.
    2. Point to (All) Programs, 'Canon Utilities', then 'MP Navigator EX'.
    3. Then click 'MP Navigator EX'.
      MP Navigator opens.

2. Point to One-click in the Navigation Mode screen to display the Custom Scan with One-click tab.

3. Click 'OCR' on the Custom Scan with One-click tab or in the One-click Mode screen to open the OCR dialog box.

Custom Scan with One-click tab

The above illustration is of the PIXMA MP980.

One-click Mode screen

4. On the OCR dialog box, select from the following settings, click 'Apply' and then click 'SCAN'.

Scan Settings

• Document Type
    Select the type of document to be scanned.
  • Color Mode
    Select how to scan the document.
  • Document Size
    Select the size of the document to be scanned.
    When you select Custom, a screen in which you can specify the document size appears. Select a Units, then enter the Width and Height and click OK.
  • Resolution
    Select the resolution at which to scan documents.
  • Use the scanner driver
    Select this checkbox to display the ScanGear (scanner driver) screen and make advanced scan settings.
  • Specify...
    For Document Type, Color Mode, Document Size and Scanning Resolution, the settings specified in the OCR dialog box are displayed.
    For Descreen, Unsharp Mask, etc., see the corresponding descriptions in Scan Settings dialog box.

Note: When scanning slanted documents, select the Correct slanted document checkbox to improve the text recognition accuracy.

Save Settings

• File name
    Enter the file name of the image to be saved (up to 32 characters). When saving multiple files, 4 digits are appended to each file name.
  • Save as type
    Select a file type to save the scanned images.
    Select JPEG/Exif, TIFF or BMP.

Note: For JPEG/Exif images, click Set... to open a dialog box in which you can select a compression type from High(Low Compression), Standard and Low(High Compression).
  • Save in
    Displays the folder in which to save the scanned images. To change the folder, click Browse... to specify another one.
    The following folders are specified by default.
    Windows Vista: MP Navigator EX folder in Picture folder
    Windows XP: MP Navigator EX folder in My Pictures folder
    Windows 2000: MP Navigator EX folder in My Pictures folder
  • Save to a Subfolder with Current Date
    Select this checkbox to create a subfolder in the folder specified in Save in with the current date and save imported files in it. A subfolder with a name such as "2008_01_01" (Year_Month_Date) will be created.
    If this checkbox is not selected, files are saved directly in the folder specified in Save in.

Application Settings

• OCR with
    After the image is scanned, the text in the image is extracted and appears in Notepad (included with Windows).

Note:
    *
    Only text written in languages that can be selected on the General tab can be extracted to Notepad (included with Windows). Click Set... on the General tab and specify the language according to the language of the document to be scanned.
    * Text displayed in Notepad (included with Windows) is for guidance only. Text in the image of the following types of documents may not be detected correctly.
    - Documents containing text with font size outside the range of 8 points to 40 points (at 300 dpi)
    - Slanted documents
    - Documents placed upside down or documents with text in the wrong orientation (rotated characters)
    - Documents containing special fonts, effects, italics, or hand-written text
    - Documents with narrow line spacing
    - Documents with colors in the background of text
    - Documents containing multiple languages

1. After scan is complete, Notepad will open with the scanned text.

Note: You cannot specify a text editor other than Notepad (included with Windows).

2. Edit the document as necessary and save the file.

Note: By default, the temporary file is saved to
    C:\Documents and Settings\user name\Application Data\Canon\MP Navigator EX V20\temp\OCR.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ihave tried all of these instructions and still end up with the text looking like greek and the logo and images not there.
Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 2 years ago.
If you have completed all the steps, then Word should not open, Notepad will open automatically after you successfully scan the documents and second you cannot scan images and text altogether, if you want to edit text after scanning.

Please try to scan another clear printed document and let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I tried it again and it went to notepad but just the text and in a different format
Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 2 years ago.
Does Notepad opened automatically after the scan is finished?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No.
Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 2 years ago.
Can you see the text in Notepad?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes but it isn't an exact copy of the document.
Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 2 years ago.
You will not get the exact copy due to limited features of the software, if you want to work professioanlly with OCR , then you can use Simple OCR a free software for almost professional use. You can get it from the link below.

http://www.simpleocr.com/
Sowrav D., Engineer
Experience: Completed Course In Computer Hardware and Printer Repairing