Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Technician
Experience:  20+ Years Experience in Field. Master Certified Printer Tech - HP, Canon, Xerox, Ricoh, Lexmark, Oki, Ghestner, Konica Minolta, Kyocera, Sharp
23511658

My Pixma MP560 Printer will not turn on. When Power is applied

My Pixma MP560 Printer will not turn on. When Power is applied a yellow light adjacent to the WiFi light at the front right hand corner comes on continuously, but pressing the ON button does not bring the screen-image on. The paper tray seems OK but I cannot check the ink cartidges because without being ON they will not position themsleves in the centre for inspection. However 2 of the cartridges were close to being empty when last used earlier yesterday.

This condition commenced while the machine was on and working OK via USB cable connection. I had it connected to the computer by cable because WiFi communication had ceased a few days before, so I bought a cable to assist with troubleshooting the WiFi problem, but had not made a start on looking into that problem yet.

Roger Gifford
Australia 02 62995547 XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Printers
Expert:  replied 2 years ago.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Hello. My name isXXXXX will be your Primary Care Technician and I can assist you with your question.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

You can perform the following reset procedure.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

1. With the printer powered on, press and hold down the Stop/Reset button then press the ON/OFF button.
2. Once the printer is powered off, hold down Stop/Reset and then press ON/OFF.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Please remember to click accept.

Customer:

I held down the stop key while

Customer:

I held

Customer:

I have pressed the ON/OFF key while holding down the STO key, but it had no effect. The yellow light stayed on and the window did not boot up.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

OK, please try this. With power to the printer, remove and re-install the ink cartridges. This should perform a reset.

Customer:

The problem with that is that with power to the printer (yellow light comes on) the print cartdridge will not move to the accessible centre position when I lift the platen, because that only happens when the machine has responded to the ON key. So how do I get access to the printer when the printer will not turn on?

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

With the printer unplugged, are you able to move the cartridges back and forth with your hand?

Customer:

Regrettably "no". The cartridge is firmly set to the right hand side of its run partially under a coverplate. I can grasp the edge of it OK bit it will not move sideways.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

It sounds like that might be your problem, then... a carriage jam.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Can you see anything that might be stopping you from moving it?

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

It should move freely.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

One thing to look for inside there... and it should be running right behind our through the printing mechanism, is what's called an encoder strip.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

It looks like a clear plastic ruler that goes from one side to the other - this should be attached at both sides and should be tight acrosss the carriage.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

This is not a very good picture of it, but it will give you an idea of what it looks like

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Full Size Image

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Circled in red

Customer:

The cartridge runs on a rail behind it. Above that rail I can see a horizontal drive belt. And slightly in front of that is a horizontal clear plastic-film strip smoky in color and about 6-8mm wide that runs right across the full visible width of the printer's insides. There is nothing similar to a "ruler".

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

I consider that last thing similar to a plastic ruler.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Does it appear to be stretched tight/

Customer:

OK Fine. What next?

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Next, you answer my question that I just asked.

Customer:

Sorry, I couldn't see the second line of the answer Can now. Yes it is stretched tight and looks as one might expect. (ie if I push it a little with my finger nail it goes back into its straightness again after releasing the slight pressure.)

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

ok... that's correct

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Was there any grinding noise when this started?

Customer:

I don't think so because it happened during the course of the day while on but not while working and while I was not looking. ie it was not working at anything when it happened, but was fully on. Earlier in the day I had successfully printed about 200 pages. No difficulty.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

I understand.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

It seems that you have a carriage jam, which means you may have to have the printer serviced. In this case, though, the current model of the printer might be about the same cost as getting it serviced.

Customer:

Oh dear. That's a crazy situation if all it needs is to release the carriage!

Customer:

Thanks for your thoughts.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

It's not a matter of just releasing the carraige.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

It means the carriage is stuck.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

as in broken

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

If you can't move it with your hand, then something in the printer is broken. The reason I mention the new model is because if you were going to have your current printer serviced, it would make more sense just to replace it.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

I have been doing this for decades, and if there was a simple fix, I would certainly tell you.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

What I'm giving you are a little more than thoughts.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Please remember to click accept.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Have a great night.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Please remember to click accept.

Michael Hannigan, Technician
Experience: 20+ Years Experience in Field. Master Certified Printer Tech - HP, Canon, Xerox, Ricoh, Lexmark, Oki, Ghestner, Konica Minolta, Kyocera, Sharp