Robert Preston
Robert Preston, Technician
Experience:  5+ Years of Hardware Printer repair including installation and repair of Xerox MFP devices
14124282

I have a Kodak ESP Office 2170 and have been having problems

I have a Kodak ESP Office 2170 and have been having problems with printing. I bought new print cartridges and even now the printer is only printing very vaguely and sometimes not at all. How can I fix the problem? Thanks.

Welcome to JustAnswer. My name isXXXXX and I will be assisting you with your problem today.

Most likely this is a print head issue. The print head is what the cartridges sit in inside of the printer. To attempt to resolve it, do the following:

(1) Open the printer and wait for the carriage to slide over. If for some reason it does not follow these instructions:
(a) Unplug the printer
(b) Manually slide the carriage over until you can get the ink cartridges out.
(2) Remove the ink cartridges from the print head.
(3) Use cotton swabs dipped in hot water or a mix of hot water and isopropyl alcohol to thoroughly clean the print head.
(4) Repeat this until there is no ink residue coming off on the cotton swab.
(5) Once finished, allow to dry and replace the cartridges
(6) Try to print something now

If that does not work then the print head will need to be replaced. This is a common problem with Kodak printers. You can call Kodak at 1-800-421-6699 to order a replacement printhead.

Thanks and please click the green ACCEPT button if you are satisfied with my answer.

Thanks,
Rob
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Rob,

I tried cleaning the print head, but I still have the same problem. Very faint printing or nothing at all.

Is there any way to print a test page?

Thanks,

Amelia

In this case it's unneccessary. The problem is with the print head. The next step is to remove the actual print head and try to soak it in hot water for an hour or so, let it dry and replace it and see if that improves the quality any. If not, you will need a new print head.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Rob,

How do I remove the print head?

Thanks,

Amelia

Remove the cartridges from the printhead and then lift the latch in the center of the printhead and then lift it out.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Got it.

I'll try soaking it.

If that doesn't work, I'll call Kodak.

Thanks again for your help.

Amelia

No problem, have a good day.