fbox
fbox, Technician
Experience:  6 years experience as hardware support tech in US army.
43327059

I have an Epson Artisan 810 printer. I want to print 4x6 borderless

I have an Epson Artisan 810 printer. I want to print 4x6 borderless photos. I have a Mac and running the printer wireless. I get the error message "paper out or paper jam in the main tray, or the paper size is incorrect." I can print regularly and print CDs. Previously, I was able to print photos and then that function stopped. I print from the computer. I contacted Epson and we went through diagnostics using only the printer without computer input. Epson feels it is probably a photo tray feed sensor malfunction. I checked with their certified repair people and they said get a new printer. Any other suggestions?
Category: Printers
Expert:  fbox replied 2 years ago.
Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to assist you today.

OK well you have tried many of the steps I would have told you to conduct.
Try this:
You need to completly unplug the unit from power and usb cables, then open the front and rear access panels/doors. Using a flashlight inspect inside the unit very closely, look at every roller and every little nook and cranny. Any littlebit of paper or any other foriegn objects to the printer can cause this to happen.

Then with unit still powered off get a very thick piece of paper and use it to push into the feed rollers (for the tray and other rollers that are doubled for feeding) to see if it dilodges anything. There could be a small piece of paper jamming the main feed rollers in a place you cant see, and if stuck well enough will stop the rollers and cause error, which then probably wouldnt come out with the shaking technique and the aircan.

Last try using a dampened lint free cloth to clean the rollers in the printer. Just use warm water on a very damp(almost dry) cloth that is lint free and use it to just clean the rollers, nothing fancy just get the goo from pushing papers through the feeders off of them rollers.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I almost exclusively (99.99%) use this computer for printing photos and printing on CDs. I have not done any other printing in months before this issued occurred. I saw the above answer when I researched this website earlier and decided it was not relevant. The repair tech suggested that I have not used the printer enough and that is the reason that the sensor is no longer functioning.

Anything else?
Expert:  fbox replied 2 years ago.
Ok, that just rules in if you dont want to buy a new printer because of the believed bad sensor that maybe a roller or something is stuck. Are you able to print a diagnostic page or does it do the same?

You asked if we had any ideas, I gave you an idea that I would perform. One thing is that unplugging the device for a few minutes and plugging it back in can really help the printer to reinitialize its systems especially if it wasnt off but in sleep mode that whole time, so yes unplugging power and waiting a few minutes then replugging is always relevant to any printer problem. If anything atleast it helps the system to completly reinitialize and hopefully give you a proper error for the problem.

AS for not being used could cause the printers sensor to go out, well yeah it happens. More the system may need a reset to kickstart the printer going again not sure, could be a sensor very easily:

To reset printer:
besides unplugging for a few minutes there is a factory restore option in the settings menu, since you were with a tech im sure you already tried this on the printer.

press Home and select Setup, then select Restore Default Settings. Select Reset All except Network & Fax Settings. (You can also reset Fax Send/Receive Settings, Fax Data Settings, Network Settings, or All Settings.) Confirm your selection as necessary. I would do all settings and then just resetup the machine for wifi or whatever after(if in usb then dont worry).
fbox, Technician
Experience: 6 years experience as hardware support tech in US army.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am able to print a diagnostic page and it's fine. I have unplugged for a few minutes. I have not tried restoring to default settings. I do not use USB. Can't remember what I went through to get it set up this way. Is it obvious? I definitely want to reset to default but not to clarify what will happen if I do all settings.
Expert:  fbox replied 2 years ago.
Ok, so it must be something with the photo prints. Your printers ink system and rollers are obviously feeding properly. Have you tried a cd label to see if it happens with that also, just trying to narrow down the faults.

TIP: I said obviously feeding properly, but there are times that even though it feeds one paper type properly does not mean it will feed all paper types properly. Dirty rollers could cause something like photo paper to not be able to grab(Its more waxy of a paper and this builds up on the rollers makking it harder for them to grab the paper.)

Are you using a new type of photo paper, can you print from pc a regular doc, just for testing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have it unplugged right now. I am using the same high quality photo paper that I have always used. I have not had a problem printing cds. I print right on the cd so no paper involved. Yes, I can print from my computer. In a bit I will try everything one more time.

If I reset to the default settings, will I have any issue getting set up again without USB?
Expert:  fbox replied 2 years ago.
I meant to answer you on that one, your network and fax settings have not caused any problems so leave them intact and reset the rest. If you do reset the network settings you will have to resetup the wifi on the printers control panel to get it seen by pc again. Its not to complicated though as long as you know your ssid and password XXXXX your wifi. But lets avoid having to redo that for now and just reset the rest.

Well if it is the same paper as usaul, then it should be good but cleaning the rollers that initially grab the paper may be a good idea. When the system tries to grab that paper it just might be slipping or you didnt select the proper paper type from the print screen when you tried doing a photo print which would cause this error.