Bernie
Bernie, Printer Technician
Experience:  6+ years experience, Microsoft MCDST/CompTia A+ Certified
46068869

My computer will not detect my printer Canon MX870 all of a

My computer will not detect my printer Canon MX870 all of a sudden... It worked before and I haven't installed anything new since. I have reboot, reinstalled with no success. Can you help me?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and thanks for asking your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be your expert today.

Does this printer connect directly to the computer by a USB cable for printing, or is it wireless?

Thanks, has there been any change in the Internet provider or wireless network (like a new password XXXXX router change) that you know of?

Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't have an USB cable to try it. :( I had no problem with the wireless printing until yesterday. And I am not aware about any changes regarding the provider or wireless network. I entered the same password XXXXX router and printer connects. My laptop is the same, too.
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
I understand, lets try this as a first step:

To make sure you can return to me, please favorite or bookmark this page, or use this web address (write it down): http://is.gd/XgTqG9

Now, turn off your router, and unplug it from the wall outlet > Turn off the computer, and turn off the wireless printer.

Wait one minute, and then plug in the router, and turn on your computer and printer again > Wait for about 5 minutes, then try to print again, see if it works now

Keep me posted
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Nothing... :( It gives the same Error in printing. I couldn't even finish installing the printer device from the set up CD because the network is not detecting the printer. I added manually with the IP address with no sucess.....
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
I see, do you already know the name of your current network (SSID) and password?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes.
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Ok good, lets try this:

Lets re-enter your settings on the printer (click below to view):

PDF LINK

Let me know if step 5 on that guide does not show your wireless network as well. Otherwise, finish all the steps listed there, and see if that gets you printing, if not...

Click the Windows Start button > Devices and Printers > Right click and remove your printer

Click HERE and save the driver file to your pc but don't open it for now > Click the Windows Start button > Control Panel > Uninstall a program

Remove any Canon printer programs/drivers there > Go ahead and restart the pc, then open the driver file you downloaded

Make sure to install it as a network/wireless printer during setup, and see if your Windows 7 can now print to the printer. Keep me posted.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Same response, printer cannot be detected. :(
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
On step 5 of this guide, it shows no wireless networks in range, is that correct:

PDF LINK

Do other computers (if any) print to this printer ok?

Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I only have this computer. And it does detect the wireless networks, even mine. Is this a lost cause? :(
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Hopefully not, there are many more steps we can try.

First, use these instructions to reset your firewall:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Restore-Windows-Firewall-settings

You may want to disable any other firewalls if you have installed any (Example, ZoneAlarm). If you know how to disable your antivirus, please do so as well.

Then, click the Windows Start button > Devices and Printers > At the top click Add a printer

Click Add a network wireless or Bluetooth printer > Select your printer from the list > If it doesn't show, or won't install, click Windows update on that same window > Click next and finish the remaining steps, it may take a while, but it should reinstall your network printer so you can print.

If that doesn't help:

Since this started happening fairly recently, as a first step, lets try this, Click the Windows Start button > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore

Follow the prompts to pick a restore date and time before your issue occured. You may need to check the show more restore points box to see more dates to pick. You will not lose any files, please let me know the results.

Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have Norton and that controls the firewall things. Do I turn off just the firewall or all of them?
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Please turn off all of them, this is just a temporary measure while we test reinstalling your network printer. It's only when you leave off all protection for the long term that you are at risk.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes it printed!!! I love you Bernie~~~!!! I kinda thought it was a firewall thing, too, but was afraid to turn all off.... What can I do with my Norton thing? If I turn them back on, will I not able to print???
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Ok great, it might be that resetting the firewall fixed this, try re-enabling Norton and see if the printer still works.

If not, then it appears Norton somehow started blocking your printer, please let me know if you are using Norton 360 or Norton Internet Security.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It printed with the Norton! Wow, thank you so much for guiding me through this. I was getting stressed and ready to go get a USB cable. Can I close and pay for your help or is there something I need to do? Thank you so much again. :) (((((((HUGS)))))))
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Nope, I think we're all set : )

Thanks for working with me. Once you press Accept below, it will finish the transaction and close this session.

If you could leave positive feedback after pressing Accept, that would be great. Have a nice holiday season.

Thanks,
Bernie
Bernie, Printer Technician
Experience: 6+ years experience, Microsoft MCDST/CompTia A+ Certified