Dustin, Hardware Specialist
Experience:  5 Years in The US ARMy as a Network Switching Systems Operator
19897260

RE: HP Officejet Pro 8500a: Is there any way to bypass the

RE: HP Officejet Pro 8500a: Is there any way to bypass the stopping of the printer when it says you are out of ink? Reason why I am asking - the other day I had a lot of papers to copy and they use black ink. One of the color cartridges came up with - a need to change the cartridge. The printer would not proceed = even though I needed the black ink. I had to stop, got to a store, get the color pack, install the yellow cartridge; -- then printed proceeded. I seem to get very little use out of the small color cartridges before I have to replace them. If I had known that this printer would not print until ALL cartridges satisfied the "workings" of the printer, I would have gotten my old 6310 fixed instead of buying this one. It is costing me a young fortune in ink. At least I can put the XL cartridge in for black; however that won't do me any good if the color cartridge won't pass scrutiny. Sorry for the long explanation but there must be a way to override this cartridge thing. Thanks for your help in advance. Sandra
Category: Printers
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer.com

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of the experts who will be assisting you today!

Sandra, before we go into bypassing the color.I have a question.. Have you actually been printing color prints.. Or do you print black and white only, and it slowly empties the color cartridges??
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have done some color printing for fliers. Then I wanted to do some black and white only. Once I replaced the color ink, then, and only then could I use the black and white.
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Understood.

Ok. as long as y our not printing color.. ( as when it runs out of ink it could damage teh printer like running your car when it has no engine oil)

Heres a simple fix.. Theres a small oblong hold on the printer cartridge.. This is where the machine reads the ink level in the cartridge.. So, if you put a small piece of black electrical tape over that oblong hole on your color cartirdges.. Then, you can print even though they are saying empty.. The same will work on the black cartridges as many will print another 20 % ever after the ink warning..

Let me know if you have any issues, but this is definitely the solution your looking for because as long as you are not printing in color, the black piece of tape trick would let you use the printer without ever changing the color cartridge again..

To get back to me..

Come back to Justanswer.com

On the top right, click login. use the same email address you used to ask this question.

Once logged in.

On the top right,, click on my questions. And you will see our question listed there.

Simply click our question, and send me a response!

Or, you can find any of my replies in your email, click on it and it will bring you back to Justanswer.com, and this specific question we are working on together!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That sounds great. I will definitely use this technique. THANK YOU
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Your very welcome.. If you have any issues at all, let me know..

Happy Thanksgiving to you!
Dustin, Hardware Specialist
Experience: 5 Years in The US ARMy as a Network Switching Systems Operator