John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.

nozzle check has gaps after print head cleaning and new ink

nozzle check has gaps after print head cleaning and new ink cartridges.
Category: Printers
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I am John Cappucci, Computer Science Engineer. I enjoy solving computer, printer and networking issues, so I will be very happy and will do my best to help you.

Please follow the steps below:

1- Remove ALL the ink cartridges from the printer

2- Check that there is no residual tape on the cartridges.

3- Then clean the contacts (the hole where the ink comes out) on the cartridges as well as inside the printer itself (you may want to use gloves here)

NOTE: Clean the contacts with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.

4- If any of the other cartridges are low, empty, leaking or bulging, replace them with genuine and original ones.

5- Then turn off the machine and unplug it for 60 seconds

6- Insert the cartridges and check to see if the issue persists.

7- Please let me know if the issue is not solved clicking the "Reply to expert" gray button, so we can continue troubleshooting.

8- If I helped please scroll down and click the green Accept button

Thank you

John C.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
There is no change. I followed all the steps exactly. Any other ideas?
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
OK, please follow the steps below to clean the printhead, but this time from the printer's control panel:

Follow these steps to clean the print head:
  1. Make sure the WorkForce is turned on but not printing.

2. (If ink is low, you may need to replace the low ink cartridge before cleaning the print head.)

3. Load a few sheets of plain paper in the sheet feeder.

4. Press the Home button.

5. Press or to select Setup, then press OK.

6. Press or to select Maintenance, and press OK. You see this screen:

7. Select Head Cleaning, and press OK.

8. Press Start to start head cleaning.

9. Cleaning takes about 2 1/2 minutes. When it's finished, you see a message on the display screen.

Never turn off the WorkForce during a cleaning cycle or you may damage it.

10. Select Nozzle Check, then press Start to run a nozzle check and confirm that the print head is clean

11. The WorkForce prints a test pattern, which includes a nozzle check. Shown below are some examples of what the nozzle check may look like.

Nozzle check pattern with no gaps

Nozzle check pattern with gaps

12. Examine the nozzle check.

13. If the nozzle check has no gaps, you're done. Select Finish Nozzle Check.

If you see any gaps or missing sections or if the page is blank, repeat the cleaning process by selecting Head Cleaning, then Start.

Then if no luck, we have 2 options here. Please see below:

Option 1: the cartridges are defective (that happens sometimes). If you can, replace them by new and genuine KODAK cartridges.

Option 2: If you replace the cartridges and you still get the same issue, then the printhead is defective. (The printhead is the part of the printer that puts ink from the cartridges onto the page) Unfortunately this can sometimes cost more to replace than the machine itself. If your printer is still in warranty you can call Kodak at 1-800-421-6699 and ask for a free printer replacement.

Or if out of warranty, you may prefer a new printer for a similar/better price than a repair. Amazon has very good prices usually with free shipping and no tax. Click here for more info --->

Please note I do NOT work for KODAK so please do NOT leave me a negative feedback if you are not satisfied with them.

Thank you

John C.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It's an Epson, not a Kodak printer. These are genuine Epson cartridges. Thanks for trying.