Travis B.
Travis B., Technician
Experience:  A+ Computer Repair, ISP Technician, Help Desk
16569391

HP 309a printer (all-in-one) My black ink wont print. I

HP 309a printer (all-in-one)
My black ink won't print. I ran all the tools menu. (alignment, clean printheads, etc.) 'Put in new ink cartridge. 'Still won't print black. Curiously, it said "failed alignment." Any ideas?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Travis B. replied 2 years ago.

Travis B. :

Most likely this is a print head issue. The print head is what the cartridges sit in inside of the printer. To attempt to resolve it, do the following:

(1) Open the printer and wait for the carriage to slide over. If for some reason it does not follow these instructions:
(a) Unplug the printer
(b) Manually slide the carriage over until you can get the ink cartridges out.
(2) Remove the ink cartridges from the print head.
(3) Use cotton swabs dipped in hot water or a mix of hot water and isopropyl alcohol to thoroughly clean the print head.
(4) Repeat this until there is no ink residue coming off on the cotton swab.
(5) Once finished, allow to dry and replace the cartridges
(6) Try to print something now

If that does not work then you have one of two possibilities:
(1) One of the ink cartridges is defective and causing the error
(2) If it's definitely not that, then the print head will need to be replaced(as you are getting print head errors).

At this point there are two possibilities. One is the new cartridge is faulty and the other is the print head is defective. Try replacing the new cartridge again. The new one could have a defective chip in it. If that does not work then you have a defective print head witch will need to be replaced. You can order a new head which will cost about $50 and the installation instructions come with it. If it turns out to be the cartridge you can return the defective one to the store for a refund. I would try a new cartridge first as it is the cheapest of the choices.

If nothing is working I would advise to look up your warranty info as you may still have a warranty with HP, I would and always advise people to contact the manufacturer directly to see if they still have a warranty. I know places like HP and Epson were either replacing or sending units out even if out of warranty or giving 30-50% off on services and or repair. I would advise to do that, if they won't assist in helping I would advise to ditch the unit as it can be costly repairing out of pocket and head to walmart / bestbuy and get a new unit..or wait till Black Friday!

You are welcome! Glad I could be of assistance, If you need anymore help please ask, otherwise have a good night and god bless! Smile Please accept so I can be compensated for my time/work, also feedback and bonus' are highly appreciated!

Travis B.

Expert:  Travis B. replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Travis B. replied 2 years ago.

(a) Unplug the printer
(6) Try to print something now

Travis B.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We did have this issue one other time and I sent it out for repair locally. (we don't have an HP place in town.) The guy works on printers all the time. He said that he cleaned it and then it worked fine. I has worked fine for quite a while. (3 months?) Then it just started this again. I know we changed cartridges back then first, too.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did send a reply already.
Expert:  Travis B. replied 2 years ago.
Yep!! that sounds like a print head.

These go from working to completely out in a matter of minutes.

I would advise to contact HP directly.

I would and always advise people to contact the manufacturer directly to see if they still have a warranty. I know places like HP and Epson were either replacing or sending units out even if out of warranty or giving 50-75% off on services, repair and new units. I would advise to do that, if they won't assist in helping I would advise to ditch the unit as it can be costly repairing out of pocket and head to walmart / bestbuy and get a new unit..or wait till Black Friday!

Travis B.
Travis B., Technician
Experience: A+ Computer Repair, ISP Technician, Help Desk