Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.

My fax does not work after at&t installed uverse.

Customer Question

Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

p0llinate :

Hello, I would like to assist you with your question today. Please remember to click ACCEPT after you are satisfied so I get credit for my time.

p0llinate :

Uverse is a running on a VOIP system, which does not always work well with faxes, dial up modems, etc

p0llinate :

There are a few tricks to get around this:

p0llinate :

First, turn off error correction on the fax machine.

p0llinate :

You will find this in the setup options under the menu button on your printer.

p0llinate :

Please try this first and try a test fax, and we will proceed from there.

Customer :

I couldn't find an error correction option on the machine.

p0llinate :

When you press menu, it should be under fax setup, or advanced fax settings

Customer :

on the mfc 420cn?

p0llinate :

Yes.

p0llinate :

It is in the settings/tools menu

Customer :

not seeing it. sorry! No way to call you?

p0llinate :

Just a minute I'll see if I can find exactly where it is at for you.

p0llinate :

No we aren't able to do phone support just the chat, sorry.

Customer :

it's in fax/tel receive mode.

p0llinate :

You are having a problem with both sending and receiving correct?

Customer :

correct

Customer :

not a real hi-tech guy, and don't type well, your work with me is cut out for you!!

p0llinate :

Try this:
1 Press Menu/Set, 2, 0, 1.
2 Press ▲ or ▼ to select Basic.Press Menu/Set.
3 Press Stop/Exit.

Customer :

think I did that right. don't see a or a 1/4 but set it to basic.

p0llinate :

Ok, that seems to be the only setting to change for this particular model.

p0llinate :

Can you try a test fax now?

Customer :

don't know a business open but will see my response

p0llinate :

What is your fax number?

Customer :

get continued beeping, as before, then "re-dailing", no fax where you are I bet, or is that against the rules?

p0llinate :

I'll try to send you a test if possible. Sometimes the site blocks the phone number from displaying in the chat, but give it a try.

Customer :

XXXXXXX fax #. Thank you!!

p0llinate :

Tried once, is your fax on auto answer?

Customer :

I got a "busy no response " report from when I tried to send, doesn't seem to want to play!

p0llinate :

I'll try again in a minute.

Customer :

i is now set o "easy receive". it wasn't before, if that matters.

p0llinate :

Ok i'll try again now if the line is free.

p0llinate :

I keep getting a busy signal.

p0llinate :

When att installed uverse, did you connect any new cords to the fax or did the configuration change at all? Is this a shared voice/fax line or dedicated fax line?

p0llinate :

You may have to press cancel on the fax so it will stop trying to dial/send your previous fax.

p0llinate :

Or see if you can get a fax through to me: XXXXXXXXXX

Customer :

its free.

Customer :

sending you fax now, it's a land line/fax line, att told me run from a splitter from wall jack, two long phone lines to fax telephone input and to phone base

Customer :

it's trying to re-dail you..

Customer :

"no response, busy"

p0llinate :

It doesn't even ring.

p0llinate :

Check the back of the fax machine, you may have the line plugged into the wrong jack.

p0llinate :

It needs to be on the one that says LINE or WALL not one that says ext

p0llinate :

Ok, it just rang through that time.

p0llinate :

Sorry my fax didn't pick up, forgot to set it to auto answer, oops

p0llinate :

Try it again please.

Customer :

My dear mr. pOllinate: I am a counselor at a half-way house, one of my clients just called, minor emergency but have to go get him. How can we continue later or tomorrow? Or should I just try to contact Brother anew? Hoping I don't get charged yet, but I

Customer :

Greatly hopeful you just fixed it!!! indeed, it was plugged into the wrong input on fax machine. did you get my fax? (fingers crossed)

p0llinate :

It's picking up right now, seems to be working.

p0llinate :

Feel free to go and take your time though, you can come back to the chat later.

p0llinate :

No charge until you click accept.

Customer :

you got it?

p0llinate :

Yes it came through.

p0llinate :

I'm sending you one back just to make sure it's working both ways.

Customer :

got a blank piece of paper--that what you sent?

p0llinate :

No, I must have stuck it in upside down.

Customer :

try again to make sure?

p0llinate :

Sending now.

p0llinate :

By the way, your fax header is incorrect. It says a different phone number: XXXXXXXXX Andy XXXXXX.

p0llinate :

There, looks like that should have gone through.

p0llinate :

I don't mean to hold you up if you need to leave though.

p0llinate :

You can come back to the chat later, just return to justanswer.com, click on "my questions" at the top and you'll see a link to come back into the chat.

Customer :

My old #, how do I change that? And, you should have been a genius!!! Came through, I'm happy camper. Hitting "Accept " now, but will look for how to change # XXXXX I get back. THANK YOU!!

p0llinate :

You're welcome. I'll have to check the book but will post back instructions for your shortly.

p0llinate :

Have a good night.

Customer :

maybe you can fax the answer?

p0llinate :

Sure, I can do that, just leave your machine on so it'll pick up when I send.

p0llinate :

Just sent, here it is in text form too just in case:
Setting the Station IDYou should store your name or company name and fax number sothey print on all fax pages you send.1 Press Menu/Set, 0, 3.2 Enter your fax number(up to 20 digits).Press Menu/Set.3 Use the dial pad to enter your name (up to 20 characters).(See Entering Text on page B-11).Press Menu/Set.4 Press Stop/Exit.You cannot enter a hyphen in the fax number. To enter a spacepress once between numbers.If the Station ID has already been programmed, the LCD will askyou to press 1 to make a change or 2 to exit without changing.

40866.5932955208
Nathan, Engineer
Experience: Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm back, things settled down for now! Thanks again, I'll leave fax on in case you can instruct me how to change # XXXXX heading. Later, Brother Guy!