John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.

Printhead Carriage is Jammed

My Kodak Printer 3250 says that there is a printhead carriage jam. I cannot find any visible obstruction anywhere. How can I get my printer to work again?

Category: Printers
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

Hello, and thank you for using JustAnswer; I will assist you in order to answer your question. If you have any concerns or questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Please follow the steps below:

Check the printhead carriage area:

Debris and Obstructions -

1. Remove any paper, tape or other obstructions from the printhead carriage area.
2. Gently move printhead carriage from side to side to see that it moves freely and there are no obstructions.

Ink Cartridges -

1. Lift the printer access door, and then remove the ink cartridges from the printhead.
NOTE: If the printhead does not move to the center position, press "Home", then "Maintenance" on your printer. Check if the Install Ink Cartridge option is available. If so, select "Install Ink Cartridges", press "OK", and follow the instructions. Otherwise, do the following:

1. If an error is displayed on your printer control panel or the status monitor on your computer, press "Cancel" to clear the error.
2. Go to KODAK All-in-One Printer Downloads and Drivers, select your printer from the "All-in-One Printers" pull-down list, and download and install the latest firmware version for your printer. Follow the on-screen instructions.
3. After you upgrade the firmware, press "Home" on the printer control panel.
4. Select "Maintenance", then press "OK".
5. Select "Install Ink Cartridges" and then press "OK".
6. Follow the instructions on the control panel LCD.
7. Go to the next step.
8. Verify that the labels on the ink cartridges are intact, and that the cartridges are not damaged.
9. Verify that the KODAK Ink Cartridges have not been refilled.
10. Insert the black ink cartridge into the printhead, then press down firmly until you hear it click into position.

11. Insert the color ink cartridge into the printhead, then press down firmly until you hear it click into position.

12. Close the printer access door.
13. Press "OK" to clear the error.
14.. Make a print.

If no luck, please check using a flashlight, to ensure there is nothing obstructing the paper feed mechanism down inside the printer where it is not easily seen. If there is nothing obvious, un-plug the printer power supply.
Next, take a dry cloth or Q-tip and clean the rubber rollers in the automatic sheet feeder. Dust may be coating the rollers there and as they become less tacky, they cannot feed paper correctly.

Holding the printer in both hands (you may need another person to help you.), turn it upside down and shake it for a few seconds to see if anything falls out of the paper feed area. (Sometimes objects such as pens, paper clips, and so on can fall into the paper feed area and cause blockages.)

Then plug the printer back up, take your paper out and replace it with a fresh, small stack (about 5 pages) of paper. Then try to print again.

If no luck still, remove all paper from the machine and then blow out the feed roller and paper tray thoroughly with compressed air three or four times.

Once done, plug it back in and insert a single sheet of paper. Please test the machine and let me know the results.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Printer does not respond to "Cancel" or "OK", so I cannot use the "Home" button to go to "Maintenance". Printer carriage will not move by hand, or when I turn the printer on. Anything else I can try?

Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

Reset the printer -

1. Remove all paper from the paper input tray(s).
2. Make sure the paper output tray is open and free of any paper.
3. Turn off your printer.
4. Disconnect the power cord.
5. Wait 30 seconds.
6. Connect the power cord.
7. Turn on your printer.

If no luck, please follow the steps below from the REAR of the printer:

1. Open paper tray and remove any paper.
2. Remove any foreign objects.
3. Remove the clean out assembly from the rear clean out area:

*Gently press and hold the tab on the left side of the clean out assembly.
*Carefully pivot the left side of the clean out assembly toward you to remove it.

4. Check the inside of your printer for a paper jam. If necessary, slowly pull the jammed paper from your printer.
5. If paper is not visible, check your printer for foreign objects, such as paper clips or staples. If necessary, carefully remove the foreign objects from your printer.
6. Check under the printer for obstructions. Remove any debris. If necessary, relocate the printer to a flat, hard surface.

IMPORTANT: If the clean out assembly is not installed and seated correctly, paper jam or paper try empty errors may occur.

7. Install the clean out assembly:

A. Insert the right side of the clean out assembly into the back of the printer so that the tabs fit into the slots on the right side of the clean out area.
B. Rotate the left side of the clean out assembly until the latch snaps into place.
C. Pull on the clean out assembly to insure that it is sealed.

Please let me know if the issue is not solved so we can contiune troubleshooting.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have removed the cleanout panel. Nothing was found inside or underneath. Disconnecting for 30 seconds didn't help either. Printer carriage just doesn't want to budge.

Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
That's weird. Is the printer still in warranty?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

We don't have a receipt, etc. Sounds like we've hit a wall here. I think it's time to resort to desperate measures; lots of shaking. Thanks anyway for your help.

Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

Even if you don't have the receipt, please call Kodak at 1-***-***-**** and tell them your printer is defective and you would like to check the warranty. Sometimes they offer a free printer even if out of warranty as they want you to continue buying Kodak cartridges.

Thank you.