Printer Expert
Printer Expert, Printer Pro
Experience:  Expert in all major brands and models.
47701907

I keep getting an error code 5,202,54 on my

Customer Question

I keep getting an error code 5,202,54 on my canon MP640 printer. The copy function works fine, but it won't scan. I have tried changing USB port and downloading the latest driver to no avail. Please can you help urgently.XXX
Category: Printers
Expert:  Printer Expert replied 5 years ago.

justprinters :

Welcome to the justanswer chat support. I can try detecting the problem and let you know. if i diagnose a hardware problem then i can only suggest you how to get the part replaced or repaired in that case we cannot fix the printer hardware problem over the chat and if the problem is not hardware related then i can get the printer fixed. If that is fine let me know so that i can continue fixing the problem for you.

JACUSTOMER-gqtpfvnf- :

Yes that will be fine, I think the printer is less than a year old, so if it is a hardware problem I should be able to get it fixed under warranty

justprinters :

absolutely correct

justprinters :

if hardware is the issue you will get a new printer

justprinters :

i am working on my end

justprinters :

does the error code comes up on the printer lcd or on the computer?

justprinters :

when do the error pops up

justprinters :

are you there sir?

JACUSTOMER-gqtpfvnf- :

The error pops up on the computer after going in to Navigator clicking on pdf file and then clicking scan after putting in all the details of file, colour etc.

JACUSTOMER-gqtpfvnf- :

When trying from the printer it just keeps returning to "place copy on the platen".

JACUSTOMER-gqtpfvnf- :

I have just discovered that I bought the printer in April 2010. My how time flies, so it will probably be out of warranty if it is a hardware faught.

justprinters :

ok

justprinters :

please try scanning another document not a pdf

justprinters :

may be a picture or something

justprinters :

let me know if the error pops again

JACUSTOMER-gqtpfvnf- :

I have just tried that and I get the same error code in the same place after pressing the scan button. Does canon have a chart of what these error codes mean?

justprinters :

what is the error now?

justprinters :

i will give you all possible details

JACUSTOMER-gqtpfvnf- :

Still error code 5,202,54

justprinters :

ok

justprinters :

If the device is not functioning properly or to clear an error, power off the printer and power it back on. Before powering back on the printer, wait five to ten minutes.

On the operator panel, press the <ON> button. (The display will go blank.)

Note: On rare occasions, it may be necessary to unplug the power cord if pressing the ON button does not shut off the printer.

Wait approximately five to ten minutes and then press the <ON> button again.

Wait until the device has completed its cycling process before submitting another job request.

JACUSTOMER-gqtpfvnf- :

OK I will try that, I have to go out in 15 mins time, can I contact you again on Monday if this dosen't fix it, and how can I get hold of you again?

justprinters :

open this link and i will be connected

JACUSTOMER-gqtpfvnf- :

OK thanks for your help so far, and I will chat with you again on Monday

justprinters :

sure no problem sir

JACUSTOMER-gqtpfvnf- :

Hi:

JACUSTOMER-gqtpfvnf- :

I am now on line. I have tried what you suggested on Friday over the week end, but it has made no difference. I also noticed that the ink was low on 2 colours so I changed these also in case it made a difference, but it didn't.

JACUSTOMER-gqtpfvnf- :

Have you any further suggestions I might try?

justprinters :

after reconfirming the error couple of times i have come to a conclusion that your printers logicboard has a problem i mean the main motherboard has a failure and its considered as a hardware problem.

justprinters :

time to take the printer to a repair tech.

JACUSTOMER-gqtpfvnf- :

Hi: Having taken you advice, I took the printer to the local canon repair facility, and paid A$60.00 (minimum charge) they couldn't find any fault, indeed when they connected it to their PC it always worked fine. I brought it home and in desperation I uninstalled the Canon My Printer and the Canon Navigator programs and re-booted the PC. Still the Scanner wouldn't work. I then uninstalled the driver, rebooted the PC and re-installed from the CD, and now the scanner works fine.

JACUSTOMER-gqtpfvnf- :

I have already it seems paid the $34, as it has already been taken from my account, may I respectfully XXXXX XXXXX this amount be refunded as I don't expect to have to pay for diagnosing a problem when I eventually resolved myself, indeed it has cost me an extra A$60 for taking it to a specialist on your recommendation.

justprinters :

you can contact customer care regarding any payment issue. i do not see that you have accepted the answer and then payment should be in your justanswer deposit