Bernie
Bernie, Printer Technician
Experience:  6+ years experience, Microsoft MCDST/CompTia A+ Certified
46068869

my HP Photosmart C4780 will not scan it sends an error messge:

my HP Photosmart C4780 will not scan
it sends an error messge: a required software component was not found or was improperly installed

Also the touch window displays incoherent messages instead of the OK button
Category: Printers
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and thanks for asking your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be your expert today.

Does this printer connect directly to the computer by a USB cable for printing, or is it wireless?

Also, click here: http://www.supportdetails.com/ and under Operating system, please list what it says.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it is wireless
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Click here: http://www.supportdetails.com/ and under Operating system, please list what it says.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It doesn't allow me to enter anything under operating system.
Your website is extremely confusing.
I have Windows XP
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do you have an answer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
on the support page what do they mean by recipient's e-mail address?
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX that. Lets carry out these steps to try and fix the issue:

Sharply unplug the printer while it is still on from the power outlet, and leave it off for 15 minutes, then replug it back in and turn it on.

Now on the computer, click the Windows Start button > Printer and Faxes > Right click and remove your printer > Now click HERE

Save the driver file to your pc but don't open it for now > Click the Windows Start button > Control Panel

Click Switch to classic view IF it shows on the left side > Click Add/Remove Program and remove any HP printer software there, don't restart if prompted

After that, restart the computer and open the driver file you saved > If you can't find it, open Internet Explorer and press CTRL + J to view your downloads list

Make sure to install as a network printer, then test the scan again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I tried click to classic view but now I can't find the control
how do I get back to regular view?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Please help me relocate my control panel button
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Just click switch to category view on the left

You should see something called add/remove programs, double click that.

graphic
Bernie, Printer Technician
Experience: 6+ years experience, Microsoft MCDST/CompTia A+ Certified
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok,
I just removed the HP scanjet software (i do have other HP software on theis computer for a different printer which I use when I am at another location)
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Ok great, restart and now reinstall the driver I had you download earlier.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
do I need to exit out of the 8 windows before I restart?
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Yes, please do.

To return go to www.justanswer.com and click My Questions on the top right

Login if needed, then click on your question and it will bring you back to this page

You can also go to this permanent web address (please write it down) to get back here anytime: http://is.gd/ZvtnOV

Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I restarted but cannot find the download
I use Mozilla Firefox
Please help because nothing is working
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
If you can't find it, open Firefox and press CTRL + J to view your downloads list

Let me know if you don't see it in there as well

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, it is not there either

Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Click HERE

Download, save, and run the file. During setup, make sure to install your printer as a network printer.

Keep me updated

Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Could you please help me get this printer reinstalled as it is not there when I go on either browser and press CTRL+J
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Yes, please just redownload the driver file, forget CTRL + J:

Click HERE

Keep me updated

Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The program is reinstalled but it's acting the same way.
Do I need a special security code to keep other wireless printers in the area from interfering?

Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
I see...

As a test, on the computer click the Windows Start button > All Programs > Accessories > Paint > Inside Paint click File, From Scanner or Camera

This will launch your scanner’s user interface, perform the scan, does it show up on the computer, and can you print it from there?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Bernie,
I went through the whole re-installing and everything and the printer works fine, except the little display is still wacko - now it displays Insert Memory Card,
whereas it should display Print Scan Copy
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
I see, good to hear the scanner is working now. As for the display, lets try a partial reset of the printer and see if that clears it:

Press left-lower corner of touch panel (the place displays OK) 4 times

Support Menu will show up, press OK

select "Reset Menu" from the drop-down list

select "Semi-Full Reset"

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Nothing happens
Right now there is a red X and it shows Scanning...

Is someone else on my wireless wavelength?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Also the blue on/off button keeps beeping and blinking
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
I understand your concern but this particular issue you're facing is not related to wireless security.

This is because there is something wrong in the firmware of the printer, or the display printer board has gone haywire. This is a known issue on this model, lets download and install this fix, click HERE

And download and install the firmware update from that page.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I downloaded and run 4 times
It tells me that my device is not connected and that I should use a usb connector, which I did,
but it still is the same problem display!!!
Nothing that you suggested worked.
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Are you following the exact directions HERE?
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, here at this link:

http://is.gd/6JUcZo
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It continues to tell me after I press RUN
that the device is not currently connected or turned on - I don't understand because it is!!!
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Ok, try this, unplug the printer from the power. Then turn off the computer. Now start it back up. While the computer is loading up, plug the power back in, and reconnect the printer directly to the computer but this time in a different usb port (preferably one in the back of the computer).

Now log back in, and run the firmware download again. If it still will not install, than it's a hardware issue with the printer and the board under the lcd display is the culprit. This would need to be repaired by HP, but if you are out of warranty that can cost as much as a new printer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am disconnecting everything and will let you know
In a few minutes if that worked
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Bernie,
when I try to run the download it seems to freeze ...
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Are you running an antivirus program like Norton or McAfee?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Which one, Norton 360 for example?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Norton Security Suite
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, please disable it temporarily using these instructions, click HERE

Then try to reinstall the firmware driver
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, Bernie,
but on the Norton Security Suite none of your instructions can be followed.
You must have a different version.
This session has been a complete waste of time and I would like a refund!
Trouble shooting just can't be handled via e-mail
It all should have been handled by telephone. I was not aware that there would not be a live person via phone support!
Lisa