Travis B.
Travis B., Technician
Experience:  A+ Computer Repair, ISP Technician, Help Desk
16569391

Brother printer is showing an error message: Drum Error

My Brother MFC -7340 printer has a message - Drum Error. I bought the DR360 and replaced it but am still getting the message. What do I do now?

Category: Printers
Expert:  Travis B. replied 5 years ago.

Travis B. :

Have you tried resetting the drum after you replaced it?

JACUSTOMER-cbmomdvh- :

I took out the toner of the old drum and replaced it in the new one.

Travis B. :

I understand that, the error message could still be there if the drum counter was not reset when you replaced the drum.

To reset the drum counter, follow the instructions listed below.

1. Open the front cover.
    2. Press the Options key on the control panel.
    3. The display will show "REPLACE DRUM - 1.YES 2.NO".
    4. Press 1 to reset the drum count.
    5. Close the front cover.
Please let me know.
JACUSTOMER-cbmomdvh- :

When I press the options key nothing happens

It continues to say see trouble shooter in user's guide chapter blah blah

Travis B. :

I'm sorry that is all that is on their website for resetting the drum counter after the drum is replaced, states to contact them directly here if not working:

8 0 0-2 8 4-4 3 2 9, Mon-Fri - 9am - 9pm ET
If nothing is working I would advise to look up your warranty info as you may still have a warranty with Brother, I would and always advise people to contact the manufacturer directly to see if they still have a warranty. I know places like Brother and Canon were either replacing or sending units out even if out of warranty or giving 30-50% off on services and or repair. I would advise to do that, if they won't assist in helping I would advise to ditch the unit as it can be costly repairing out of pocket and head to Walmart / bestbuy and get a new unit..or wait till Black Friday!
You are welcome! Glad I could be of assistance, if you need anymore help please ask, otherwise have a good night and god bless! Smile

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

When I press the options button and the number one it says not registered. Could that be why?

Expert:  Travis B. replied 5 years ago.

Yes that is exactly why it needs to be previously registered in order for this to work.
Glad I could be of assistance.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Can I still register my printer?

Expert:  Travis B. replied 5 years ago.

All depends on how long you have had the unit, I would suggest contacting Brother directly, if they are unable to register it then you are out of luck getting the drum reset. (as this is needed for when you changed the drum)..
Ask about the following:
I know places like Brother and Canon were either replacing or sending units out even if out of warranty or giving 30-50% off on services and or repair. I would advise to do that, if they won't assist in helping I would advise to ditch the unit as it can be costly repairing out of pocket and head to Walmart / bestbuy and get a new unit..or wait till Black Friday!
You are welcome! Glad I could be of assistance, If you need anymore help please ask, otherwise have a good night and god bless! Smile