Printer Doctor
Printer Doctor, Sr. Printer Technician
Experience:  10,000+ hrs direct troubleshoot, repair and rebuilding hp, Lexmark/Dell inkjet and laser printers

I have blue horizonal lines printed on copies on my Artison

I have blue horizonal lines printed on copies on my Artison 810.
I have tried everything: cleaning the nozzles, aligning the printer, cleaning the tray, the surface of the glass, changing the cartridge, taking all of the ink cartridges out and wiping the connection with a micro-cloth. Nothing works!
How do I get rid of the blue horizonal lines?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Printer Doctor replied 2 years ago.

Printer Doctor :

Hi there. The Printer Doctor is in and ready to help you! Please answer all my questions about your problem so that I can give my best diagnosis.

Printer Doctor :

Do you get these horizontal lines when you send a print job from the computer as well, or ONLY when you copy something?

Printer Doctor :

Unless there is something failing in the scanner, 90% of the time the following solves the problem (even if you think you done this enough already):

Printer Doctor :

If the line is not there when you place a document face-down onto the glass stage and copy, but is there only when you use the ADF (automatic document feeder), the obstruction is in the area where the ADF scans. Let me explain...

You'll notice that when you use the face-down on the glass copying, the lamp from the scanner can be seen traveling all the way down the length of the page, then returns to its home position. However, when using the ADF feeder, the scanning assembly remais stationary.

The lamp just sits stationary in the area just at the point where the page comes out of the ADF and the contents of the document are scanned as the page rolls past it and then is ejected into the tray.

That "scan area" is the area of glass that is abot 1-inch by 8.5 inches across the width of the page. You will need to look very closely at just this area and scrub, scrub, scrub with a strong class cleaner, e.g. Windex, to remove whatever is keeping the light from hitting the page on the spot where the line is showing up.

In some cases, there is white-out, dust, or a scratch on this small glass. I've seen this problem several times. Believe me, if you keep cleaning and looking, you will find it.

Other than that, make sure that you use strong isopropyl alcohol to clean the rollers with a cotton swab or small piece of paper towel. Also, use a can of compressed air to blow-out everything in that assembly.

Printer Doctor :

Please be persistent and try the above at least one time. Then, if it does not fix, get back with me here and let me know. Just return and post to this chat (which I will Save before exiting) and I'll be notified to rejoin you here.

Printer Doctor :

If you do find my instructions helpful, please remember to click the green ACCEPT button (even if you have a Subscription or a Trial Membership) so I will get credit for helping you today. If you feel I've serviced you very well, positive feedback and a bonus is also greatly appreciated!

If your problem is not solved, instead of giving negative feedback please give me a chance to further assist you.

For future problems, you can ask me a question directly by going to my page at http://www.justanswer.com/electronics/expert-printerdr/

Thank you for trusting JustAnswer, and HAPPY PRINTING from the Printer Doctor!

Customer:

Printer Doctor,

Customer:

The horizontal blue lines are regular, one inch apart, from the top of 11 inch paper to the bottom, and go from a 1/4 inch on left endge the 8 1/2 side to off the edge on the other. They appear whether a document is sent from the computer to the printer, or if a document is face down on the glass. The lines first showed up after I change cyan blue. If it was a scratch, it would be uneven. The problem is with the computer. I have cleaned, but will clean again. This is frustrating!

Printer Doctor :

Thank you. I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX problem is with the Cyan cartridge you changed to, since that is when the problem began. However, there is no doubt still some remaining waste ink inside the printer that you cannot see or reach. That is the only logical conclusion that can be reached at this point. It is not originating with the computer, because when you make copies, that does not come from the computer's printer driver. You can disconnect the printer from the computer, make copies and the lines would still be there.

Printer Doctor :

So, the only recourse is to attempt to clean the interior of the printer -- especially the metal horizontal paper guides. There is also a waste ink splatter pad running the width of the printer--about 10 inches across, that may be soaked. Finally, there is the main waste ink absorber or reservoir. If the spilled has saturated that, it will also need to be remove and cleaned under warm running water, or replaced with a new absorber.

Customer:

I don't know how to take the printer apart and find those areas that you suggest to clean. (The Geek squad charges $99+ parts.) If I have to buy a new printer, I would rather try your method, but don't know to find the metal horizontal paper guides, the main waste ink absorber/reservoir, or where to buy a new absorber. Help!

Printer Doctor :

Please understand that inkjet printers, while very sophisticated technology, are very inexpensively manufactured. They are intended to last about 18 months -- but the warranty is 1 year maximum! MANUFACTURERS will never tell the buying public this, but technicians know. They come out with new models every six to eight months, They don't make their money off the printer sales (hence, cheap) but off the replacement ink cartridges. Once the warranty is expired, they no longer are responsible for any defects or failing components. In fact, repair shops cannot even get critical replacement parts, because they are not intended to be serviced!

Printer Doctor :

To actually service an inkjet (even if we can) would cost so much in labeor and parts (if available) that no consumer would pay that -- just as easy to buy a NEW inkjet printer. But then, the cycle starts all over again. If you need to do a lot of printing, you should consider a LASER printer instead of an inkjet. They are more rugged, completely serviceable, and give a much higher page yield per cartridge than inks.

Printer Doctor :

I know this is not good news, but in my years of experience it is the truth. This is as far as I can take you with your current issue. At least you have some knowledge you may not have had before, and I hope that helps.

Customer:

Thanks for your help!

Printer Doctor, Sr. Printer Technician
Experience: 10,000+ hrs direct troubleshoot, repair and rebuilding hp, Lexmark/Dell inkjet and laser printers