Russell H., Printer and Office
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

my fax line keeps ringing and trying to connect but there are

my fax line keeps ringing and trying to connect but there are no incoming fax's, I can't make it stop
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.
Can you tell whether the calls are incoming, or outgoing to the fax?

(A way to tell, if all else fails, is to unplug the fax from the phone line, and put a voice phone handset on the line instead. Then wait... if the line doesn't keep ringing, then the fax itself is generating the constant calling (out.) If the line does keep ringing, the fax is not at fault, and you might want to contact your phone co. or consult your caller ID facility/box - if you have one - to find out what the source of the constant calling-in is - and get the phone co. to squash it. They can and will do so if you can identify the problem in the least as being coming from another location than yours.)

(If the fax is truly the source of the problem, let me know, and I will advise you further.)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I connected a phone hand set to the line and it didn't ring.
I beleive it's the fax machine. Now what?
Is your phone line a digital phone service such as VoIP or MagicJack?

Is your phone line service providing you with DSL or ADSL internet connection service?

Connect the fax machine port (the LINE port specifically) up to the phone line again, and print a fax connection report to diagnose the problem.
Press the Home button and select Setup > Fax Setting > Check Fax Connection. Make sure letter- or A4-size plain paper is loaded, and press Start to print the report.

What does the fax report indicate, or does one print out at all?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can't complete task. It starts ringing and trying connect almost immediately.
Then try to print the report again, only without connecting the phone line to the machine (in case that allows the report to be printed... in which case it may not yield anything more valuable in the way of information, than that it can be done when the machine isn't on the phone line. But try that anyway.)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Phone cable disconnected
Ok, result:
1. Product Harware check........pass
2. Phone Cable Connection check......fail
Status
Phone cable is not connected correctly
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
now what?
Well, that was non-informative, true.

Do you have another, different, phone line you can hook the fax to briefly, to see whether the problem is still there on a different line? if not, no matter - I suspect it would not show any change in the fax's behavior.

Is your phone line a common or 'landline' phone line? or digital/MagicJack/VoIP/etc?

What was the last task you completed or tried to complete, with the fax? I am wondering whether you set it to send a fax at a scheduled time, or the like, or broadcast a fax to many recipients, or the like...?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have a regular ATT phone line that I use only for the Fax.
I had not started any task, it simply started ringing and trying to connect to unknown site with no number.
I checked settings and it is not set to broadcast to any recipiants.
Do you have another fax machine to try to connect to the line? not that this step is vitally necessary, nor probably informative as to what's wrong.

I suspect at this point that there's nothing to be done (except the above test, to be quite certain of the diagnosis) except to assume that your fax machine's electronics are 'broken'.

Unless the following clears up the problem (for I am not certain that you have tried power-down resetting your machine yet):

Turn the printer OFF, when it is on, by suddenly and sharply unplugging it from the power source.
Also unplug it from the computer!
Leave it that way for 10 minutes.
Plug it back in to the power only, not the computer.
Turn it on if it didn't turn itself on. Wait for it to initialize.
Try whether it works now, as a fax, by also connecting it to the phone line (but not the computer, yet).

Additionally: you might want to check the setting at the bottom of this help page, the one about Dial Tone Detection - if it's On, you might want to try setting it to Off. It can't hurt and certainly is worth trying:
http://files.support.epson.com/htmldocs/art810/art810ug/wwhelp/wwhimpl/common/html/wwhelp.htm?context=Epson&file=fax.6.9.html
Also: try pressing all the buttons on your fax machine, while it is turned off, one by one, carefully.
Observe whether any might be stuck down or On... if so, and if it were a 'Speed Dial' number, it might explain the automatically and persistently dialing out!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
none of this has helped
True, I have not helped solve your problem - except, to enable you to be sure that it is the fax machine (not the line, it seems) and is not a configuration problem or anything user-remediable.

You will need to have a service tech look at your machine. Or fix it. Or replace it and (hopefully) recycle it.

A question: is the Epson machine less than one year old, since its date of purchase as a new machine? if so, its failure (and its servicing or else its replacement) would be covered under warranty provisions by Epson, the manufacturer. (I cannot give you more specific info, e.g. who to contact about it if it's less than a year old, since I do not know what country you are in nor what country you purchased the Epson machine in/from.)

If this helps with the problem and answers your question, then please click once on Accept for my Answer. (Only then will I be paid, by deduction of my share from the funds already deposited by you with JustAnswer. Thanks.)
- Favorable feedback is appreciated.
(If this answer is still in any way inadequate, just ask for further details and I will try to get the right and complete answer to you.)
Russell H., Printer and Office
Experience: 11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable