fbox
fbox, Technician
Experience:  6 years experience as hardware support tech in US army.
43327059

OUR BROTHER 7820N COPIER FAX SAYS BACK DOOR IS OPEN AND IT

Customer Question

OUR BROTHER 7820N COPIER FAX SAYS BACK DOOR IS OPEN AND IT IS NOT!!! WE HAVE THROUGHLY CLOSED IT MANY TIMES, TRIED CUTTING THE POWER OFF AND CAN NOT RECIEVE ANY FAXES OR MAKE COPIES AND HAVE JUST INSTALLED A NEW DRUM AND TONER!;HELP!!!!!
TERRY
Category: Printers
Expert:  PCDrMiller replied 5 years ago.

I don't have that model in front of me right now, but I found this advice to resolve the issue.

* Open the back cover

* Pull the flap down that hides the orange roller on the fuser
(Careful it's Hot on that fuser!!)

* Locate the thin piece of plastic that runs from the centre to the right hand side. This bar is the problem

* 3/4 along the right hand side, there is a small bit on this bar that should sit in a hole.

Other description...

This "little thing" is not on the end of the horizontal rod -- it's indeed in
the middle or 2/3 of the way down, starting from the left, traveling right along
the rod. This tiny little perpendicular appendage (about 1 mm? 2mm?) points
"down" and on my printer at least, was out of a rectangular trough hole that
travels parallel to your line of sight as you're looking straight into the back.
The appendage needs to be placed back into this rectangular trough.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i have found the little protusion and can't seem to find a place for it that will get rid of the cover open problem.
where is it suppossed to fit or be?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So where does the little protusion ggo into????

This protusion is just one possible solution to the problem. If you are not able to fit it into the "hole", or "rectangular trough" and resolve the cover closed problem, then it could be a sensor that has malfunctioned. I do not have a picture to show you unfortunately, there shouldn't be that many different places for it to go.

I was hoping your issue could be resolved by that simple tip. If you are sure no paper could be jammed anywhere and the back cover issue persists then I am afraid you will need to get your printer serviced by brother technician to replace the sensor or determine the problem with the machine.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Other.
is there a way to tell me where the sensors are if that is the problem?
yhnx terry
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Other.
answer did not help
Expert:  fbox replied 5 years ago.
The prtusion fits into a trough on the bar itself, they have a habit of becomming dislodged after repairs is it sits in the trough without anything holding it in there. The protusion itself is a sensor in terms that it feels for the paper coming through as it passes which then reports to the machine by way of it being seated in its trough that the paper is feeding properly. When this becomes broken or dislogdged you get this error non stop.

I am trying to find an image for you to see for yourself, but this is the route you want to take to fix the problem especially if you dont have any paperjams.

Let me know if you find it and I will look for an appropriate video or image for you to see yourself, thank you.
fbox, Technician
Experience: 6 years experience as hardware support tech in US army.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
You mean on the bar it is attached to or accross from?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i actually had to turn the machine upside down to see the place it went into but found it!
thanks so much!
terry
the answer lied in the fact that the protusion went into the bar itself.
i was trying to make it stick out.
Expert:  fbox replied 5 years ago.
Sorry about the late reply, was trying to pull the image off the service manual which adobe reader makes a pain to do. Should have said it was on the bottom side of the bar, my apologies.

So your printer is working now, thats great let me know if you need anything else.