Russell H., Printer and Office
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

HP P1006 LASERJET The printer shows out of paper and when

Customer Question

HP P1006 LASERJET
The printer shows out of paper and when I put paper in the holder it still states out of paper.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.
Roughly speaking, in summary, the two things that can cause your problem commonly in this model of HP printer are:

1. your printer is in Manual Feed mode, thus the feeding from the paper tray is turned Off and so no matter how much or little paper is there, the printer will still complain (unless there's paper in the Manual Feed slot, when printing!)

or

2. your paper pickup rollers are not delivering paper initially into the machine, to feed through it and to print upon it.

As for problem (1.), you should try to switch out of Manual Feed mode as follows:

Start button - Control Panel - Printers (in various versions of Windows, this is in various places, but all are within Control Panel...)
and right-click upon the icon representing your printer in this screen, and choose Printing Preferences.
Click the Paper/Quality tab.
Click on AutoSelect, once you've opened the 'Source Is...' pulldown choice menu.
Click on Apply.
Click on OK to close the Preferences.

As for problem (2.), you need to clean your paper pickup rollers. I can give you instructions on how to do that properly... if you want to try this, just ask for instructions. Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I need instructions to clean paper pickup rollers.
OK. Turn the printer Off, unplug it, and remove the print cartridge as shown, then set it aside, preferably in a clean empty desk drawer on a sheet of paper - or a similarly safe location:

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Here's where the paper pickup roller is:

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Then release the pickup roller by pulling the two white tabs outward...:

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

... rotate the roller forward, then remove it from the printer:

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Take a clean, lint-free, high-quality rag cloth, moisten it with isopropyl alcohol, and wipe the paper pickup roller thoroughly and firmly (handling it by the edges when your fingers touch it, to keep it from getting dirty at all again).

Then allow it to dry completely, then put it back into its slot in the printer again:

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

and rotate the back of the roller away from you until both sides snap into place:

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Then reinsert the print cartridge again:

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

and power up the printer and try it again.