Bernie
Bernie, Printer Technician
Experience:  6+ years experience, Microsoft MCDST/CompTia A+ Certified
46068869

I have an MP240 Canon printer. the alarm light stays on constant

I have an MP240 Canon printer. the alarm light stays on constant yellow and i get an error message E-3. there is no paper jam and the print head stays to the far right without any access to it. i have tried everything; powering down, opening the lid, checking for paper jams without any success. don't know what next to do........
Category: Printers
Expert:  Bernie replied 3 years ago.
Hello, and thanks for asking your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be your expert today.

This is caused by remaining paper stuck inside the printer (probably near the printhead and it's blocking the path of the carriage), or a dirty/defective jam sensor. First, please try these steps:

(1) Power off and unplug the printer, then unplug it from the computer (if it is connected there)
(2) Remove all cartridges and check in there for any paper jam. Use compressed air to remove all dust from the internals of the printer .
(3) Remove all paper from the paper feed and blow it with compressed air 3-4 times. Make sure nothing is in the paper feed:

graphic

Sometimes something as small as a paper clip stuck somewhere can cause this issue.

(4) Next, use a flashlight and look in the paper feed and inside the printer for any foreign object. Make sure nothing is in the path of the printhead, like smashed up paper underneath. You should be able to move the printhead back and forth freely on the rail (If not, stop here and let me know first).

graphic
(5) Go ahead and reinsert the cartridges securly. While the printer is still off, press and hold the power button for 1 minute. Finally, while holding down the stop/cancel button, plug the printer back in, and power on the printer if it doesn't do so automatically. Now try to print.

After that, if you still face the same issue, then the printer will need to be taken apart and the sensors inside may need to be replaced. Unfortunately, if the warranty is out, it may be more cost effective to buy a new printer, but you may certainly call 1-800-652-2666 first to get a quote for the repairs and make a final decision.
Bernie, Printer Technician
Experience: 6+ years experience, Microsoft MCDST/CompTia A+ Certified
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have tried everything above, air cleaned the paper input and output, held down the power button and then the stop/cancel button and still the E3 msg comes on and the alarm light stays constantly on.
Expert:  Bernie replied 3 years ago.
I'm sorry, but if you have taken all steps to rule out any remaining paper, or foreign object, but this means the printer jam sensor has failed. Unfortunately, if the warranty is out, it may be more cost effective to buy a new printer, but you may certainly call 1-800-652-2666 first to get a quote for the repairs and make a final decision.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
am i still obligated to pay the $ 48 if i accept your answer?
Expert:  Bernie replied 3 years ago.
I would appreciate it, as this is how I am paid by the site. Please understand this type of diagnosis may have cost much more at a shop, I did not want to arrive at this conclusion but we really have done everything that can be done. Now the sensors inside will need replacing and that can become quite a money pit if it's out of warranty...

Thank you,
Bernie
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I will call the 800 number before I accept your answer. Thank you.
Expert:  Bernie replied 3 years ago.
Please do, and feel free to ask anything else here, I will help as much as I can.

Thank you,
Bernie