John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

MFC-J415W what a lousy buy

Customer Question

MFC-J415W what a lousy buy, 2 days and the printer is not commissioned, used all my knowledge but driver installation fails each time. Ive used the disk that came with it i've used the Internet I've uses dectective Driver search all to no avail rather all to damwell fail. Brother has a resposibility to set up there printers better than this I dont feel like paying for info that should not be necessary. Installation should be a snack. I own seven printers and this is the last Brother I will buy unless I am proven to be dumbkin regarding  the matter at hand When I plug the USB cord ina and turn on the 415 as instructed all goes well except the program tries tnstall the driver twice once in the middle okay and the one other try at the end fails???
Category: Printers
Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am John C., Computer Science Engineer. I enjoy solving computer, printer and networking issues, so I will be very happy and will do my best to help you.

What Operative System version do you have ? (Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X, etc?)

NOTE: If you have Windows 7 or Vista, please let me know if you have the 32 bit or 64 bit version. Please click Start, then right click "Computer" and select Properties to find out the version.

Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
John C operating system is windows 7 Home premium 32 Bit
Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Sir/Madam. Please remember I do not receive a salary from this company. I am an independent Computer Science Engineer with more than 10 years of experience working with Printers, and now working here. The only way for me to be compensated for my time is when the customer (You) click the Accept button when satisfied. Thank you for your help and understanding.

Please download and install the newest Windows 7 driver for your printer from here -----> http://goo.gl/6GijV

Download and install it. Then try to print.

Please let me know if the issue is not solved clicking the "Reply to your expert" gray button, so we can continue troubleshooting.

If I helped please scroll down and click the green Accept button for me to be paid, that's the only way for me to be compensated for my time (Even if you have a subscription or trial plan with us I need you to click Accept for me to be paid from JustAnswer. And even if you have a regular account and see the holding charge in your credit / debit / or PayPal account, I need you to click Accept for the money to be released to me)

Thank you

John C.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

John C I have Tried that driver and it fails then tells me to ask my supplier for a solution

I thought thats who I was asking and I got you, Ill pay if you can solve it but not otherwise I have not seen anything new that I have not tried or been aware of in my endeavours so far

Regards Les C

Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.
OK. Can I have the exact error message, please? Please click the "Reply to expert" button below to let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It states, please consult with your device manufacturer for assistance in getting this device installed, thats what I was trying to do and got you.

I decided ther was no risk in doing so no result no pay particularly if you do not tell me anything that I dont know already. I have been through your procedure a dozen times so far lousy setup by Brother ?????? I dont know but I will when the problem is solved

Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.
Please don't worry about it. We don't push customer to pay us. Customers only pay when the issue is solved and they click the Accept button.

In order to install your printer on Windows 7, please follow the steps below:

1- Click Start

2- Click "Devices and Printers"

3- Click "Add a printer"

4- Click "Add a local printer"

5- Select USB and click Next

6- Click the "WINDOWS UPDATE" Button and wait for the updates to be downloaded

7- Click Epson on the left

8- Scroll down and select "Epson Stylus COLOR 670 ESC/P 2"

9- Click Next

10- Click Next

11- You will get the "Installing printer" message. Please wait

12- Click Next

13- Click Finish

14- Wait 2 minutes and try to print.

15- Does it work?

Thank you

John C.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are you sure you want me to install an epson The printer I hjave is a brother MFC-J415W
Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.
I apologize. Please follow the steps below:

1- Click Start

2- Click "Devices and Printers"

3- Click "Add a printer"

4- Click "Add a local printer"

5- Select USB and click Next

7- Click BROTHER on the left

8- Scroll down and select "Brother MFC-J415W" (Or J400 Series)

9- Click Next

10- Click Next

12- Click Next

13- Click Finish

14- Wait 2 minutes and try to print.

15- Does it work?

Thank you

John C.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Anyway I went to intstall a local printer and the Brother is there with a Error triangle

Saying it needs to be subject to trouble shooting ( been There Before) I did the troublshoot and the reply was no driver installed (I KNOW( THaT's THE POINT))

How does one get the driver installed correctly PS You cannot add a USB printer though this section IT tells you it will be installed automatically when usb is plugged in.

It tries and fails when I plug in the USB lead thats where we started from.

USB Cord is okay I moved a working Printer from that line to install the troublesome

MFC-J415W that I am having driver installation trouble with

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

John C I followed you direction with the following results

A. Printer driver was not installed operation could not be completed (error) 0x00000002

Tried again and got error 0x80240024

Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.
That's weird. Have you tried selecting Brother, and then selecting MFC-J415W ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Of Course thats how the program started to install a Brother MFC-J415W until it could go no further with the error reports a detailed to you.

John C I am quite compter literate through expreience only and it is wierd, neve seen anything like it, have to give the quest to correct away for tonight, bed time in Australia

Catch up with you tomorrow, you might have a solution by then although I think I have to go back to the Manufacturer the thing I dont get is when I set up install by pulling the USB Cord all goes fine but the program tries to install the driver twice once okay the second fails device driver says working okay. But no driver installed.and no it does not work

Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.
OK, but I meant following the steps below (with Windows Update):

1- Click Start

2- Click "Devices and Printers"

3- Click "Add a printer"

4- Click "Add a local printer"

5- Select USB and click Next

7- Click BROTHER on the left

9- Click Next

10- Click Next

12- Click Next

13- Click Finish

14- Wait 2 minutes and try to print.

15- Does it work?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No Message printer driver could not be installed error 0x00000002

Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.
OK. I will opt out so any other expert can try to help you. You will receive an email when another expert takes your question. The new expert will see all our previous thread, so no need to explain the issue again.

Thank you