PCDrMiller
PCDrMiller, Technician
Experience:  IT Specialist, Print Server Administrator, MFP expert

For a HP Officejet 6000 series printer, how do I clean the

Customer Question

For a HP Officejet 6000 series printer, how do I clean the print head? My black ink cartridge just quit printing. I do believe that there is ink in the cartridge since I printed just the other day with no problem.
Category: Printers
Expert:  PCDrMiller replied 2 years ago.

PCDrMiller :

Hello, I can assist you with this problem

Customer :

Good, what is the answer?

PCDrMiller :

On your printer, do you see a tools button, sometimes looks like a wrench?

Customer :

No I am afraid not.

PCDrMiller :

what version of windows are you running?

Customer :

Windows 7

Customer :

By the way the color print heads all work

PCDrMiller :

If you click on start -> control panel -> view devices and printers

Customer :

Also the out of ink indicator is not activated.

Customer :

OK I am there

PCDrMiller :

Right click on your printer and choose printer preferences

PCDrMiller :

printing preferences

PCDrMiller :

Then do you have a services tab?

Customer :

OK I am there and I have it set at Fast Eco Printing Black Ink Only.

PCDrMiller :

Do you see a services tab across the top?

PCDrMiller :

on the right side

Customer :

No only Features and Advanced

PCDrMiller :

Ok

PCDrMiller :

I found another method

PCDrMiller :

press and hold the power button, while holding, press cancel 2 times, then press resume one time, then release the power button

Customer :

I have a power button in the printer and only three others form feed, a red X and Wireless. The red X may be the cancel but what would resume be?

PCDrMiller :

wow..they don't make this easy, huh

Customer :

No I am afraid not.

PCDrMiller :

lets go back again to the computer method....on the features tab, do you see printer services ?

Customer :

Not on the features or the advanced tab

PCDrMiller :

Do you have the HP solution center installed?

Customer :

No I do not

Customer :

Is it available from HP?

PCDrMiller :

Yes, you should be able to download it, let me find you a link.

Customer :

When I went to Windows 7 and reinstalled the printer my CD with the solution center on it would not install correctly. I hope the new download will work

PCDrMiller :

There should be a printer services under the features tab, perhaps that didn't load since solution center failed

PCDrMiller :

You sure you don't have a power button, then resume button, cancel, and wireless all in a row on the printer?

Customer :

I assume that this is the correct file to download from that link

PCDrMiller :

Yes, that is the full feature software and drivers

PCDrMiller :

resume has a picture of a sheet of paper and an arrow?

Customer :

Yes that is the form feed

Customer :

The full feature will be here in 2 more min.

PCDrMiller :

ok, that is the button I was referring to. try holding power, press cancel twice and then form feed once, then release power

PCDrMiller :

you must have a fast connection, that is a large file

Customer :

OK got some activity this time. I will let you know what prints if anything

Customer :

Sure made alot of noise I will try to print a test page now. Nothing but the color rectangles at the bottom of the page. No black ink printing

Customer :

File is here. I will run it now if you want to wait. OK?

PCDrMiller :

Sure, you can go ahead and run the install...that will only provide another way of doing what we just did though. Do you have another black cartridge by chance?

Customer :

Fraid not. At this time lets stop the chat and I will try the install. I would like to respond to you later with a successful chat if you would let me know how since we haven't solved the problem yet.

PCDrMiller :

sure, you can add the page to your favorites, or you should have an email to link back here. Or just return to justanswer.com and login, then click on my questions in top right

Customer :

OK see you later.

PCDrMiller :

Replacing the black cartridge might be necessary if the printhead cleaning doesn't help

What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.