Handy--Andy
Handy--Andy, Technical
Experience:  Helpdesk
56210710

Canon MP830 print head error.

Customer Question

Canon Pixma MP830: ERROR MESSAGE: The type of print head is incorrect, install correct print head. What do I have to do to fix this problem?

Category: Printers
Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer! I will be glad to help you out with your issue today.

- How and when did this problem begun? Was there a paper jam or did you replace the ink cartridge?

- When did you buy this printer and since when are you facing this issue? How often do you use printer?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The problem began after 3 months without using the copier. The machine has not been moved at any time, yet the error seems to indicate that it has the wrong printer head. I've had this machine for 3 years. There was never a paper jam, I replaced cartridge 3 months ago. This morning I removed all the cartridges, cleaned them with q-tips and then back in the machine. The error message was still there. I unplugged the machine but nothing changed.

Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.

Please remove the Print Heads, clean all golden contacts and reset them.

Let me know the results.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I just cleaned the golden contacts with a q-tip and alcohol and reset them. The error message continues. What else do you suggest?

Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.

Did you reset the cartridges or print head?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes, I did as you instructed. I reset the cartridges but the problem still persists.

Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.

Please do this :

Reseat the Print Head:

1. Confirm that the printer is powered on and press the button. (The paper output tray will open.)

*MP800R shown

2. Lift the scanning unit (printer cover) completely. (The print head will move to the replacement position.)

Note: When the scanning unit (printer cover) is opened more than ten minutes, the print head moves to the right side. If this occurs, close the scanning unit (printer cover), and open it again.

3. Open the inner cover.

4. Remove the ink tanks by pressing the tab of each tank.

Caution: Handle the ink tanks with care so that your clothes and surrounding area do not get soiled. Make sure to remove the ink tanks one by one.

5. Raise the print head lock lever.

6. Tilt the print head slightly towards the front of the machine and lift out gently.

Caution: Do not touch the print head nozzles , electrical contacts , or ink supply ports . Doing so may cause printing problems.

7. Place the print head in the print head holder and lower the print head lock lever carefully until you hear a click.

8. Insert ink tanks into the print head.

9. Press the mark on the ink tank firmly until you hear a click.

10. Ensure that all the ink tanks are installed properly and the ink tank lamps light red.

The ink tanks are installed properly.
    The ink tanks are not installed properly.

Note: Click for Ink Tank Lamp indications.

11. Close the inner cover and the scanning unit (printer cover).

Caution: When closing the scanning unit (printer cover), be careful not to jam fingers.

N
    ote: The next printing begins, the print head cleaning will begin automatically.

Let me know the results.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I still have the problem. Can you try something else? All the red lights light up but still have the ERROR MESSAGE: "THE TYPE OF PRINT HEAD IS INCORRECT. INSTALL THE CORRECT PRINT HEAD."

Expert:  Handy--Andy replied 5 years ago.

It is definitely the print head. If the cleaning doesn't work then a new print head will be required. I Think you have only 3 choices really.

1. Keep trying to clean the print head (try dropping 5-10 drops of isopropyl alcohol down in the ink-receptacle area)
2. New print head (about $30-£60)
3. New printer

Sorry probably not the answer your hoping for but the honest answer. All the best.

Handy--Andy, Technical
Experience: Helpdesk