Bernie
Bernie, Printer Technician
Experience:  6+ years experience, Microsoft MCDST/CompTia A+ Certified
46068869

how do I get my brother mfc 7840w printer to scan a document

Customer Question

how do I get my brother mfc 7840w printer to scan a document and send it to my computer via Wi-Fi? The printing works terrific over Wi-Fi but I can't figure out the scanning.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Bernie replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer and thanks for asking your question.

Are you using Windows XP, Vista, or 7 with the printer?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Windows 7 Professional
Expert:  Bernie replied 5 years ago.
Thanks - to wirelessly scan to the computer, with the document loaded in the printer, you'll actually need to initiate this from the Windows 7:

Click the Windows Start button > All Programs > Accessories > Paint.

Click File (the blue button in the upper left) > From Scanner or Camera > This will launch your scanner’s user interface, perform the scan and it will show on the computer, you can then print it out from there (again clicking the blue button, then print).
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
That's helpful. However, when I put the doc on the printer glass and select "scan" and then press start, nothing happens. The machines beeps but that's it and it doesn't provide any type of error message. Any ideas?

Colby
Expert:  Bernie replied 5 years ago.
I see - from inside Windows Paint on the computer - can you initiate the scanner there without pressing anything on the printer?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok. That works but it will only do 1 page at a time. Is there a way to load and scan multiple pages. Say a 10 page doc?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Just checking in to make sure my question made sense.
Expert:  Bernie replied 5 years ago.
Great, then the scanner and network is ok.

To scan multiple pages:

1. Open the ControlCenter by clicking Windows/start-> (All) Programs ->Brother-> XXX-XXXX (Where XXX-XXXX is the model number of the machine)-> ControlCenterx.

graphic

The ControlCenter application will be loaded in the Task Tray near the system clock. (It appears as a blue square labeled CCx.)

graphic

2. Double-click on the ControlCenter icon located in the Task Tray to launch the program window.

3. Click on Configuration -> SCAN.

4. Choose the type of scan you require. The choices are: Image, E-mail and File. The Scan to configuration window will appear.

5. The Scan to configuration window will appear.

graphic

6. The Software Button tab configures the Scan to button within the ControlCenter software interface. The Device Button tab configures the Scan to key on the Brother machine. Choose the tab you want to configure.

7. Under File Type select an option that allows multi-page documents:

a) PDF (*.PDF)
b) Tiff Multi-Page # XXXXX (*.tif)
c) Tiff Multi-Page # XXXXX (*.tif)

8. Click OK.

Then, to use the Scan to feature from the ControlCenter

1. Place the document to be scanned on the Automatic Document Feeder (ADF).

2. Launch the ControlCenter following the instructions in the Step 1.

3. On the SCAN menu left-click the button that corresponds with the type of scan you want to perform Image, E-mail or File.

4. The document will now scan into a single file.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Great info. So it seemed to work and I set the format to be pdf. However, once the scan was complete, Paint launched and said it couldn't open the document because it wasn't an appropriate bitmap file? Any idea where the pdf scan would be? I don't see it in my download files.
Expert:  Bernie replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your patience, these should be under Start > Documents > My scans.

If they don't show there, try closing paint completely. Then, try this from the printer:

1. Make sure that the ControlCenter has been launched by following the instructions in the Step 1.

2. Place the document to be scanned on the Automatic Document Feeder (ADF).

3. Press the Scan key on the Brother machine.

4. Scroll using your up or down arrow key and select the type of scan you want to perform Image, E-mail or File.

5. Press OK.

6. Press Start, Black (Mono) Start or Color (Colour) Start to begin the process. The document will now scan into a single file. See if it will save there now.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I couldn't figure it out but I'll keep at it. Thanks for your help.

Colby
Expert:  Bernie replied 5 years ago.
Thank you, in any case, you may just need to download and install the full software and driver package, here: http://is.gd/TTXnnI

Regards,
Bernie