PCDrMiller
PCDrMiller, Technician
Experience:  IT Specialist, Print Server Administrator, MFP expert
61194327

I received a Fatal Error and MSI.Scan report when trying to

I received a Fatal Error and MSI.Scan report when trying to install a new printer What do I do?
Category: Printers
Expert:  PCDrMiller replied 2 years ago.

PCDrMiller :

Hello, I can try and assist you with this problem

PCDrMiller :

The first thing I would like you to do is turn off the printer and reboot your computer

PCDrMiller :

Then, please visit the following website to download the latest version of software for your printer. Just click on the black download button.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=4059515&prodNameId=4059651&swEnvOID=4062&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=mp-84595-1

PCDrMiller :

It is a large file and will take a while to download.

PCDrMiller :

When it finishes, run that file to install the drivers and software for your printer.

PCDrMiller :

If you get an error as you did before, please post the exact error message here

PCDrMiller :

Also, I would like to know what version of windows you are running

Customer:

I have tried this -

Customer:

The message says "Fatal Error during installation. Error 1714. The older version of Scan cannot be removed. Contact your technical support group. Pelase go to http://www.hp.com/support for troubleshooting information about Fatal Error and MSI.scan.

Customer:

That is how I arrived at your site in the first place.

Customer:

Where do I find the version of windows I'm running. Know it is available somewhere - can't remember where to find it!

PCDrMiller :

If you click on start button, then right click on computer and choose properties it will tell you

Customer:

Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 3

PCDrMiller :

Try running this utility on your computer, it is supposed to fix this error

Customer:

I clicked on run - it seems to have downloaded very quickly.

Customer:

Should I now try to reinstall?

PCDrMiller :

It is a small file

PCDrMiller :

did you see anything happen when the file ran?

Customer:

Not really

PCDrMiller :

If you are sure you can the file, yes please try the install again.

PCDrMiller :

Can you tell me, did you have a HP printer installed before?

Customer:

Not with this computer, I dont think.

Customer:

If so, it was probably removed.

Customer:

But there have been canon and epson printers installed on this computer.

PCDrMiller :

Okay, please try the install again

Customer:

Ah, there is a HP laserjet in our downstairs office that is connected to this computer. Is that going to be a problem?

PCDrMiller :

It shouldn't be a problem

Customer:

I may lose you - it takes time to get the computer up and running again once it is shut down. Hope you'll still be there! Am trying the install again now.

PCDrMiller :

Okay, If for some reason it does fail again, please try and download and run this install and let me know if that one fails also

Customer:

Trying this next possibility - Wow! This is harder than it should be!

Customer:

Should the printer be on or off at this point?

PCDrMiller :

Leave the printer off, then during the install it will tell you to connect it if you make it that far

PCDrMiller :

If you go to the control panel, add/remove programs is there any HP software installed on your computer listed in there? It may help to remove all canon / epson software it you don't need it anymore

Customer:

I'll do that.

PCDrMiller :

If you still can't get it to install, I found this software cleanup utility that might be able to remove the old software that is blocking this install. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&softwareitem=oj-11696-6

PCDrMiller :

And yes, this is harder than it should be

Customer:

Still doesn't work. I'll uninstall the old printers, then run the software cleanup utility - then give it another go.

Customer:

Then I may need to call my techie and let him come and do this. How much work have I not gotten done in these several hours??? GRRRR. Not your fault - just venting!

PCDrMiller :

I understand...sorry for your trouble. It isn't anything you have done wrong

PCDrMiller :

did you have any luck with the software cleanup utility?

Customer:

Nothing has worked yet, and I have to keep restarting the computer. I've contacted my techie and I'm going to let him take it from here. I just don't have any more time to deal with this.

Customer:

Thanks for your help - I really, really appreciate your responsiveness.

PCDrMiller :

Okay, sorry I wasn't able to get you going. If you would like a refund, you can contact customer support and request it. If you would still like to compensate me for trying to help, please click the accept button. I think your tech will need to manually delete some HP keys out of the registry, or try loading the printer with the add printer wizard and browse to the driver. Have a good day.

PCDrMiller, Technician
Experience: IT Specialist, Print Server Administrator, MFP expert