Dustin, Printer Repair Specialist
Experience:  A deep understanding and technical prowess in the finer points of printing and printer repair. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

code E161-403f comes on the ipf cannon 44in printer

Category: Printers
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer.com

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of the experts who will be assisting you today!

Thats not a good error code at all..

The error is unusualy high heat on the left printhead

It means your left printhead , is either clogged, jammed by paper or some other foeriegn object, or its broken.

heres the cost to replace the printhead. Well , to purchase one

http://www.pcrush.com/product/Printheads/228661/Canon-PF-03-Printhead-for-imagePROGRAF-IPF-Printers

So we want to try and avoid replacing them if possible.

First, i would check around the printhead, and make sure theres no paper jammed under or around it.

Then. you should try to perfomr both cleanings below, at least twice

1. Press the Menu button to display MAIN MENU.
  2. Press or to select Head Cleaning, and then press the button.
  3. Press or to select the type of cleaning, and then press the OK button.

Head Cleaning A

Use Head Cleaning A if printing is faint or contains foreign substances. This method of cleaning consumes the least amount of ink. It takes about four minutes to complete.

Head Cleaning B

Use Head Cleaning A if no ink comes out of the printhead, or if Head Cleaning B does not solve the problem. It takes about six minutes to complete.

Hopefully, that will clear up the error. and get you runing. If not.. Your going to have to get a new printhead..

If you have any questions, let me know

Please click the green accept button to show I have assisted you.

If you still need assistance, You can reply to this message at any time.
If my answer helped, please make sure to leave positive feedback on the screen that comes up after clicking accept. If my answer did not work, please wait to leave feedback till we get the issue fixed!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So how do I get the printhead out to inspect the head when the error mesage lockup the printer-up?
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 years ago.
heres how to get to the print heads.

View Full Image
  2. Press
    View Full Image
    or
    View Full Image
    to select Maintenance, and then press the
    View Full Image
    button.
  3. Press
    View Full Image
    or
    View Full Image
    to select Replace P.head, and then press the
    View Full Image
    button.
  4. Press
    View Full Image
    or
    View Full Image
    to select Yes, and then press the OK button. Select Printhead L when replacing Printhead L and Printhead R when replacing Printhead R . When replacing both, select L & R Printheads . Be sure to specify the correct Printhead.Ink is now absorbed. After about three minutes, a message is shown on the Display Screen instructing you to open the Top Cover.
  5. Open the Top Cover.
    View Full Image

Instructions are now shown on the Display Screen regarding Printhead replacement.
  6. Lift the Carriage Cover to open it fully.
    View Full Image
  7. Pull the Printhead Fixer Lever forward all the way to open it completely.
    View Full Image
  8. Lift the Printhead Fixer Cover to open it fully.
    View Full Image
  9. Remove the used Printhead.
    View Full Image
  10. Holding the new Printhead by the grips (a), remove it from the case.
    View Full Image
  11. While firmly holding the Printhead you have removed, use your other hand to remove the orange Safety Cap 1 (a). Squeeze the grips (c) of Safety Cap 2 (b) and pull it down to remove it.
    View Full Image
  12. With the nozzles facing down and the metal contacts toward the back, tilt the Printhead slightly forward as you insert it in the Carriage . Carefully push the printhead firmly into the Carriage , ensuring that the nozzles and metal contacts do not touch the carriage.
    View Full Image
  13. Pull the Printhead Fixer Cover down toward the front to lock the Printhead in place.
    View Full Image
  14. Push the Printhead Fixer Lever toward the back of the printer until it clicks.
    View Full Image
  15. Push the Carriage Cover down toward the front.
    View Full Image
  16. Close the Top Cover.
    View Full Image

Ink now fills the system.
After about ten minutes, the Printhead will be automatically aligned, and the printer will go online.
If no paper has been loaded, a message is displayed requesting you to load paper.

Important

• Never remove an Ink Tank or Maintenance Cartridge while the system is filling with ink.
  • If Auto Print is Off in the printer menu, the Printhead will not be aligned. In this case, adjust the alignment after Printhead replacement by accessing Advanced Adj. in Auto Head Adj.

If you have any further questions, let me know.